Windows Boggs Down - Only Fix Is Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehehe... I was wondering if someone would catch me on that. I was too lazy to edit after reading it... Of course I meant there are no out-of-normal processes (such as the ones that are there when I boot Windows) :p I'm not sure what's wrong with it though... it's like, I can open 500 pictures (closing them right after), and eventually I can no longer do anything until other programs/pictures/etc are closed, as if to free up RAM or something. I dunno, I was considering switching to Debian linux real soon, or trying it out at least... just curious if this was a windows-based problem:p:) thx all!

Blitze105 said:
In my opinion if his registry was that totalled... he wouldn't be online right now... i doubt it atleast so im asking as well.
You can have a screwed-up registry and still function. That's not how the registry functions.

Originally posted by Xula
Hehehe... I was wondering if someone would catch me on that. I was too lazy to edit after reading it... Of course I meant there are no out-of-normal processes (such as the ones that are there when I boot Windows) :p I'm not sure what's wrong with it though... it's like, I can open 500 pictures (closing them right after), and eventually I can no longer do anything until other programs/pictures/etc are closed, as if to free up RAM or something. I dunno, I was considering switching to Debian linux real soon, or trying it out at least... just curious if this was a windows-based problem:p thx all!
No, this is not a "windows thing". This is a case of 'something's wrong' and you need to fix it. Although, from yer post, it sounds like you do a lot of nutty things, like having way too much open at once and then expecting performance out of it all.

Make sure yer virtual memory is set to the highest capacity (about 1.5 times the size of your RAM). Update everything. The usual jazz. If that doesn't work, you may want to consider just reformatting. It's probably time for you to clean things up anyway.

backup and nuke your hard disk. if a clean install doesn't get rid of the problem, than it will get rid of a bunch of crap that you got on it.

I see that you have a 9500 Pro! your the only other person i know besides me who has one of those! lol their great!

ShoobieRat said:
You can have a screwed-up registry and still function. That's not how the registry functions.

No, this is not a "windows thing". This is a case of 'something's wrong' and you need to fix it. Although, from yer post, it sounds like you do a lot of nutty things, like having way too much open at once and then expecting performance out of it all.

Make sure yer virtual memory is set to the highest capacity (about 1.5 times the size of your RAM). Update everything. The usual jazz. If that doesn't work, you may want to consider just reformatting. It's probably time for you to clean things up anyway.

I dunno what's wrong with it :p But once again, it was just installed recently ;) No matter though. And I don't have too much open--I'm saying...I have 500 pics from my digital camera, I open a few, close them...open a few close...etc. Point is, eventually I will have zero open and window's only beeps when I right click or try to open any drop down menus (only way to stop this for a moment is to close an open program with the red X in the corner), which will let it go for a few seconds.

I believe it's something with XP honestly... granted, maybe something I may have done, but something with XP nonetheless:D

Run Registry Mechanic and see if that works.
I would also check the processes in task manager and head over to www.processlibrary.com to find out what more on the individual processes.

At idle, you shouldn't really have over 5% CPU Usage.
What it sounds like is your programs are hogging up the resources and the memory. Maybe time for more RAM? :confused:

A gig of ram should be plenty for now. Try seeing what programs are set to start at boot (Start -> run ->msconfig -> start-up). Make sure your virus scanner isn't wanting to scan everything. And look at your ram usage right after boot, then do the picture activity that seems to crash the machine, close out of all your pic stuff, but leave everything else running, and check the ram usage again. It should be about the same. also, after doing memory intensive activites (such as gaming), I have found that windows will lag a little for a period afterward, and I suppose the reason for this is that many background things (such as windows services, perhpas), either get paused, moved to the page file, or shut down completey when the system is taxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom