just wanna know a few things

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice_snuff

Baseband Member
just wanna say one thing before i start. yes i am a noob :eek: :( :eek: :confused: :p so please spare me the pc talk

ok here i go

1.what is overclocking?
2.what are all the parts you need to build a pc?
3.why does everyone hate macs?
4.what are those hard drive configuration things(raid 0, ATA)?
5.do all mobo's fit all cases?
6.how come amd's are better than intels even though they have less clock speed?
7. why does ATI have such a crap logo?
8.is there anyway to check things like what type of agp slot i have and what type ram my pc takes?

Thanks alot:D

1.what is overclocking?
- Overclocking is increasing the clock speed of say your cpu or your graphics card (gpu) to make it quicker, but also making it work overtime, sufficient cooling is required for this sort of thing.

-Mainboard,cpu,memory,harddisk,floppy drive,cd-rom,graphics card,soundcard,monitor,case,power supply am i forgetting anything lol

-I dont hate macs, just dont know them.

-Ive not dabbled to much in this, so i best not try to answer.

-no, you need matching form factors.

-never owned an amd so cant really elaborate on this, basically they run at lower Mhz or something but do twice the work somehow.

-:freak:

8.is there anyway to check things like what type of agp slot i have and what type ram my pc takes?
-you can install a program like 3dmark and run a detail analysis on your system. You can check your bios as well if you wish.

1. what is overclocking?
Answered, and read the Sticky in the OC Section

case
mobo
hd
cpu
gfx card
ram
optical drives
a Screw driver

Not everyone does, its just they are so expensive that most people resent Apple.

Raid is taking 2harddrives and combining them for faster speeds or seomething.
There are 3 types of cases, MiniATX, MidATX, FullATX. You need motherboards accordingly, except a miniatx board will fit in any case.

Well thats a highly debated subject, IMO they arent but oh well. AMD have a different architecture meaning they can perform more cycles at a lower clock speed while creating less heat.

Coz ATI are the n00bz0rz

Yes, Use CPU-Z to find out your motherboard model and then check it up on the net.

1. Overclocking is pushing certain parts (or all parts) of your computer to go faster than they are supposed to. be careful doing this, it can damage ur components and void ur warranty
2. parts: Case, mobo, hard drive, CD/DVD drive, power supply, CPU, heatsink, floppy drive (not necessary). feel like im missing something.
3. macs are excellent comps for media work, but for the average user, they are just too impractical. not compatible with enough software.
4. RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks. U have 2 hard drives working together in tandem. RAID 0 allows the capacity of the hard drives to combine, RAID 1 is redundancy.
5. No, they dont
6. AMDs use a better designed architecture than intel, doing more with less. clock speed isnt everything. AMDs are better for gaming, intels are better (just barely in some tests) at multitasking and more practical for office machines
7. Ask the execs
8. Open up ur case and look at the mobo. AGP slots are generally smaller, and red or brown. As for RAM, go to dxdiag and take a look

RAID is mostely used for Servers. There are different levels of RAID, 0 through 5 that I know of. I do believe there is a RAID 6 and 7 but I'm not sure, or to what they do.

RAID 0 allows you to take 2 or more drives and make them act as one. Do half the data on one drive half on the other so data access speeds will be twice as fast (theoretically).

RAID 1 is mirrored drives. You have 2 or more drives, and they are identical. For fault tolerance, so if one drive fails you still have all the other data.

ice_snuff

i'd like to introduce you to the most powerful tool available on the internet. This is something that will help you answer all of your questions.

www.google.com

Try typing

define : overclocking

into the search box and hit enter. This also works with just about anything. Happy surfing...

HAVOC2k5 said:
define : overclocking

Not bad. It's always good to know more google goodies :). One more to add to my google repetoir. Only had ( site: ) till now - which is really useful.. :D

Does anyone know where I can find a list of these nifty little google goodies that would help to expedite the searching process? I imagine they would prove quite useful, as the define one already has for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom