Advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandingo

In Runtime
I am building a new computer...This is what it is...(Case) Raidmax Storm 847 Midtower gaming case w/420w power supply, (Motherboard) MSI Neo2 Platinum Nforce 3 Ultra Athlon 64 FX Skt 939 DDR ATX, (Processor) AMD 64 3500+ Skt 939, (Memory) Cosair Twinx 2048-3200 C2 2Gig kit DDR 400 XMS 3200 (Hard drive) Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 120gb Ultra ATA/133 7200rpm (Video card) Radeon 9600pro 256mb. I am going to be using it for online gaming. Im a newbie at building computers. This seemed like a good choice. Any suggestions on anything I may be doing wrong? Will this be a good system?

My budget? Well I dont really have a set budget. I dont wanna spend tons of cash, but im open too suggestions, feel free to submit any info you can.

For the motherboard, get a Gigabyte if your on the cheap and Abit or preferably DFI if you will be overclocking.Good processer, just make sure to get the venice core, not sure if its out though but if its not then its certainly worth the wait. As for memory you don't need 2 gigs and if your gonna get Corsair then XMS is supposed to be good or you can get OCZ ram, G.Skill if you got the money would be good. As for your hard drive, make sure you get SATA. Seeing you will be using this computer for gaming, I don't suggest using that card. Instead get an eVga 6600GT. Don't use the PSU that comes with your case, your putting a good ammount of money into your computer so don't skimp out on your psu or you will regret it. I recommend an OCZ modstream for the price, or if you have more then Thermaltake and Antec power supplies. If you you get the DFI board and cannot fit the onboard sound plug in into your mobo for any reason such as it hits the fan like it did in my case, you can get a soundblaster live 24 bit which will do you well on a budget, or if you got a nice bit of money to spend a soundblaster audigy 2 zs. You didn't mention any cd drives so does that mean you already have them? All I can think about right now.

Is it, or should it be, common knowledge that DFI is the best for overclocking? When I say best, I mean absolute best. Over any other board available on the market.

I will not be overclocking, forgot too note that, and yes i do have the cd drives. Will there be any difference in game speed going from 1 gig of ram to 2 gig of ram? And is the PSU no good on the Raidmax storm? Should I still switch motherboards if Im not gonna be overclocking?

Also, What is the difference between the Radeon 9600pro 256mb and the Evga 6600 128mb? Do the mb make any difference on the video cards?

CPU- AMD 3200 939
MOBO- Gigabyte k8nf-9
HDD- 200gig SATA WD
MEM- 1gig Corsair/Geil value pc3200
VGA-6600GT PCI-E or 6800GT PCI-e depends on budget
Thermaltake Soprano Case with 430watt psu
2gig ram is excessive 1gig is ample as even doom3 on ultra settings uses only 470 or so a 3500 is hardly faster than a 3200 and u can oc it sooo easy and a 9600 pro sux it won;t do any decent gaming eg doom3 low settings only for playable frame rates

For gaming you definitely want to put a lot into video card. For a power supply I suggest the Antec 480 Neo Power, you only plug in the cables you need so it makes for cleaner case. Hard drive seagate or western digital, maxtor is horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom