building a Linux computer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoobieSrUs

Baseband Member
Hey, im planning on building a computer with linux OS... but ive not decided which version of mandrake or redhat i should use... which would be more user friendly?

I aslo would like to ask about suggestions on what hardware i should use... this somputer is eventually going to be a server, so yes i do plan on saving up for red hat server..

When i do turn this into a server i plan on having a T3 connection so i need hardware that can handle it...

If yall would help I would very much appreciate it!

Also, im thinking of getting a water cooling system for this computer, what kind do yall suggest?

well i guess your not gonna get much then, casue water cooling costs alot. Just use air uintil you can afford more and i would suggest an opteron or dual xeon setup w/ that. BTW T3 is basically the same thing as T1 except you can run more computers on it. so just look at what our school has and that will answer your question.

yes i know T3 and T1 are the same just one holds more traffic.. Ill be using T1 for awhile, reason being, my bro plans to start up a download server, and wants me to build and run the server.. eventually will have a few more ppl on it and will want T3

For a server, don't use Mandrake. Slackware is better suited to server use due to it's very high stability, although Red Hat would be alright.

TOSHIBA SD-R1612 Black IDE Combo Drive - OEM Model #: SD-R1612B - $29.99

ASUS P5GPL Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915PL ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail Model #: P5GPL - $97.00

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JD 200GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM Model #: WD2000JD x2 - $208.00

GeIL Ultra 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model GE2GB3200BDC - Retail Model #: GE2GB3200BDC - $184.39

Update intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor Model BX80547PG3200F - Retail Model #: BX80547PG3200F - $285.99

ASUS V9520-X/TD/128 Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - OEM Model #: V9520-X/TD/128 - $45.00

Total - $850
That leave you with $150 for case, psu and tax and shipping.

I would suggest going with a server line cpu and motherboard as well, but I don't think it will fit into that budget.

well he would want the icons to pop up fast and not lag while trying to run the bios. lol. BTW he needs server class stuff and prolly wouldnt need 2 gig so take that out and replce it w/ an opteron (causes hes an AMD fanboy) and a good board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom