changing hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_booto

Baseband Member
Hey ppl,

I was wondering If i change my harddrive With XP pro which is on an intel system to an AMD system will i have problems with the OS? would i have to re-install XP or repair it , if possible. I'm askin coz i think i heard some where that it would stuff around with the OS when changing a harddrive to a different system ( being Primary hardrive) and that it would have problems or not even work coz of the change of hardware. thanx.

You have to re-install Windows because they made some stupid crap that, when it installs, it creates stuff certain to the computer you installed it in. I had this same problem with my new computer.

-SkyHi

The type of processor won't be as much an impact as all the hardware together. My only suggestions to you are to backup your data, and give it a try.

Doing a full computer swap will likely require you to re-activate Windows as well.

ok thanx,

so i guess i just gotta back everything up and then re-install XP. ok... shouldn't be too much of a problem... yeah i'm pretty much changing everything with the hardware. i do have another option, that is, i have a 20gb hdd and i could put windows on that and just chuck the main one now as a slave, that will work right?

thanx 4 ur help
-g_booto-

It's not stupid that you have reinstall windows

The operating system has to interact with all the hardware, and swapping hard drives with XP already installed is stupid, it will tell the mobo to do wrong things.

DJ-CHRIS said:
It's not stupid that you have reinstall windows
Agreed.

This is not a Windows fault, this is a fact of computing. Your HDD holds drivers and instructions for dealing with all of your hardware. If you rip out the HDD and put it into a totally different box, you've now got a HDD that can't effectively communicate with the hardware because it has improper drivers. Most often it's not a problem, and you can just update things to get them in order again. Sometimes, though, it can totally hose everything.

This is basic knowledge, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom