Dual Channel RAM Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejay

Beta member
okokok... So my new computer is only running on 512MB DDR2 4200 right now, but I just bought another stick of 512MB DDR2 4200 from NewEgg. My current setup is running in dual channel, but if I throw in the 512 stick in one of the other slots (I have 2 banks of 2 = 4 dimm slots) is that going to kill the dual channel of my 256x2? Also, if I decide to buy another stick to run in dual channel, does it have to be the same size or could I get say a 256MB, or 1GB stick to run in dual channel with my 512, given that they are the same speed,etc? I'm confusing myself here. How much more efficient is dual channel anyways? Should I be sweatin' it if I lose my dual channel for a little while? I've heard some people say it's only 2-5% difference, and others say its 15-30% difference.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

I'll shove the RAM in there and download that to check it out. Thanks. I didn't think it was that significant of a difference, but I had a team of about 5 people gang up on me saying things like 512 dual channel would out perform 1GB single channel. Blah.

it's gotta be same specs and size dude

You MIGHT get lucky and if you put the 2x256 in two slots that if they were there by themselves wouldn't be dual channel, and throw the 512mb stick in the channel that would cause dual channel it'd work.

So basically if slots 1 & 3 give you dual channel you'd want it like this:

Slot 1: 256
Slot 2: 256
Slot 3: 512

and that MIGHT run dual channel if you're lucky.

After that your post gets confusing and I don't know what the hell you're saying but yeah, same speed and specs is needed for DC

and it's about 5% realistically performance gain, 20% is still a stretch

Wait Wait Wait...I thought that some mobo required multiple sticks of RAM of the same size and speed to run correctly...or is that only to take advantage of the marginally advandagous Dual channel?

????

You need two exact sticks, speed and specs to run dual channel, both the CPU and motherboard have to support dual channel.

Sometimes if you're lucky you can get 3 sticks to run it like I said above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom