Where do I rat out people who are selling pirated OS's

Status
Not open for further replies.
EricB said:
not here. oversea yes. here if you got to windows update and it detect a pirated version. it will lock up the computer. it part of the homland security thing. oversea it won't lock it up. at the worst case it will tell you that it can't download no updates because it is pirated.

I dunno man. I know tons of people who are running a pirated version of Windows, always updating and everything. They have yet to lock up due to the "homeland security act". Thats insane. Since when did that act have anything to do with licensing on Microsoft Windows? I really dont see how that is a matter of national security.

I had some words with an ex-lawyer of MS a little while back. He told me lots of facts about EULA's and such. MS really dosent care about the average end user having illegal copies, because they will end up paying their lawyers more money to come after you than they will get out of you. They are after the buisnesses running on 600 illegal copies, so they can sue for $25,000 per illegal. They are concerned with the back alley operations that are spitting out 1000 copies a day of XP and selling them for $50 a whack.

MS will take two situations, where pirating is a problem, and apply the formula:

a. is the amount of copies they are selling. B is the amount they are selling them for. X is the cost of the lawyers. If A x B is greater than X, then they have no reason to go after said person.

But yes I do agree with you chris, it is very unfair to system builders. We cant stay in competition with these people if we have to spend an extra $200 on an OS.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Yeah but this makes this unfair to system builders

You can buy the same system, same specs, but 200$ cheaper! due to the lack of an origional version of windows XP

If they were not selling XP with PC's, I wouldnt care

I dont see why it should be your problem. They will get busted eventually, dont go ratting out people. Unless you acutally help make the software and have really something to lose.

microsoft isnt losing money if their making profit, they think their losing potential money, their producing a copy in mass, if 1 sold copy gets copied 6 times for each user thier counting that as a loss of 6 when actually its a loss of nothing cuz they sold that 1 copy...the 6 users is potential money but unlikely

many people who use warez wouldnt buy it to begin with cuz they cant afford it or its not worth the price cuz its buggy or needs constant patches or whatever

Him said:
I dunno man. I know tons of people who are running a pirated version of Windows, always updating and everything. They have yet to lock up due to the "homeland security act". Thats insane. Since when did that act have anything to do with licensing on Microsoft Windows? I really dont see how that is a matter of national security.

I had some words with an ex-lawyer of MS a little while back. He told me lots of facts about EULA's and such. MS really dosent care about the average end user having illegal copies, because they will end up paying their lawyers more money to come after you than they will get out of you. They are after the buisnesses running on 600 illegal copies, so they can sue for $25,000 per illegal. They are concerned with the back alley operations that are spitting out 1000 copies a day of XP and selling them for $50 a whack.

MS will take two situations, where pirating is a problem, and apply the formula:

a. is the amount of copies they are selling. B is the amount they are selling them for. X is the cost of the lawyers. If A x B is greater than X, then they have no reason to go after said person.

But yes I do agree with you chris, it is very unfair to system builders. We cant stay in competition with these people if we have to spend an extra $200 on an OS.

Wow. First you misquote me. when I talk of homeland security, I talking about all of the bullship laws that are taking away our rights everyday and the ablilty of rich people to openly commit crime yet they aren't construed as crime.

despite everybody that think they know, I dare to get you a corp edition of xp pro with the key H2HYJ-28PQM-6HGFG-CWMMD-V2C62
and got to windows update. 3 years ago this version of xp was floating around everywhere. thousands of people had this copy

one day in august and september 2 or 3 years ago., thousands of people computer got lock up all at once. some companies with legit version of xp got locked up too. a lot of this mishap got blame on the msblast virus but in actualality a lot of it was microsuck locking up people computer.

I got rich off of this. there was a guy around here with a computer shop who install that xp pro on hundred of computers and he charge them for a legit copy. I spent weeks fixing a lot of those computers. he is jail now.

now sometimes microsoft claim to lock these computer's, other times they deny it. they had an article a few month with MS talking about locking up computers oversea, but in the end they couldn't because those companies had different laws (hence me mentioning homeland security)

now MS can't tell all copies of pirated software. they can't tell those with the activation crack, but they can tell the activation crack is on there (that was the old crack. crack. somebody here mention that there's a new one that they can't tell. I dunno. I use legit versions. they are only 99.00 for xp and 130.00 for mce2005). there are also some other versions that they can't tell.

but they make a point of find the one that are freely floating around the internet that thousands of people own and they will lock it up. I just fix a lady computer 3 weeks ago, they wouldn't log on. it said it would not log on because she was using a pirated copy of windows XP.

I would never pay $200 or $300 for Microsoft software, especially Windows. Believe me a pirated version is good enough for me and i support it, but i believe that real versions should be loaded if it is a PC repair shop. Only reason I have a real version is cuz it came with the pc.

Microsoft Office=ripoff

Around my area the only way you can buy microsuck software is to either.

A: Buy a new computer or B: Buy a new hard drive.

There is no way i am going to spend all that extra money on top of paying $200 for XP,I don't think old Bill is going to go broke just cause i didn't give him my $200.

killians45 said:
erm, no Him... I wasn't serious. Figured most would most would of figured that ;)

I know. I was saying that as a joke, pertaining to the absurdity of the post. ;-)

solaris said:
microsoft isnt losing money if their making profit, they think their losing potential money, their producing a copy in mass, if 1 sold copy gets copied 6 times for each user thier counting that as a loss of 6 when actually its a loss of nothing cuz they sold that 1 copy...the 6 users is potential money but unlikely

many people who use warez wouldnt buy it to begin with cuz they cant afford it or its not worth the price cuz its buggy or needs constant patches or whatever

I couldnt agree more. Most people who pirate Windows have no intention on EVER paying for it. If they have it, great, they will use it. If they dont, they are going to pirate it. If they cannot pirate it, they will say oh well. Maybe move to Linux, or even physically go and steal a version. Or buy a stolen ver from someone. I know I wouldnt, and everyone else I know, except one kid but he's kind of a tool, pay for it. I got mine from the last place I worked, they bought too many licenses and gave out a few to the better workers (ME!). But if i didnt get mine for free, I would more than likely pirate it.

MS is not losing money, if they were never going to make that money in the first place.

EricB, I'm sorry to have misquoted you. Wasnt trying to take you for an asshole. I just didnt understand your reasoning for bringing up 'Homeland Security'.

If I were a MS lawyer, I would be all OVER this thread. IMO, this thread should be closed before someone says something they shouldnt have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom