$3000-3500 gamer pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude if you read it right, I was referring to putting in several hundred bucks into SLI. You wont have a decent SLI setup for less. Well I am not gonna argue the issue about which is better. I know the facts.
I really don't care to argue either, but you gave some bad advice by saying to go AGP IMO. I just don't want to see this guy make a misstake.

What are the facts? Are you keeping them a secret? Where are they kept?

I know there is virtually no performance increase in going PCI-e, but for a very small price increase, why wouldn't you want to have the new standard that new video cards will be based on?

Case-Anything that has good airflow and looks cool to him, possible thermaltake or Aspire
CPU-AMD FX-55
Mobo-DFI LANPARTY Ultra-D
Memory-1 gig dual channel G.Skill RAM
CD Drive-NEC drive that does just about everything can be found for like 50 bucks
Hard drives-two 74g raptor drives in raid 0 for gaming and like 100-120gig sata drive for everything else
PSU-Antec 480W Neopower
Video Card-eVga 6800gt, or maybe a BFG 6800 Ultra
Sound Card-Audigy 2 zs
-------------------------------------
If He is overclocking.....
CPU Fan-Zalman 7700
GPU Fan-Zalman gpu fan
~or~
custom water cooling
--------------------------------------
If he doesn't have an old mouse, keyboard or monitor.....
Monitor-A good 19" flat screen CRT
Mouse- Razor diamondback
Keyboard-Any decent keyboard
Speakers-Some good logitech, too lazy to find exact set
---------------------------------------
Too lazy to find links, too lazy to get shipping, too lazy to add up prices or even find prices but with that budget he should be able to get all this.

idiotec said:
Several hundred bucks? Dude, it is barely more expensive. For the video card, per newegg:

eVGA 6800GT AGP - 329
eVGA 6800GT PCI-e - 359

The guy is from Montreal Quebec Canada so it's going to cost a thousand dollar's or so for a SLI setup,Each 6800 GT is around 500 hundred give or take a couple buck's :(

since I am also canadian...I can help you out here...I would go with:

Athlon 64 4000+
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM (2 x 512)
DFI Nforce4 SLI mobo
1 x Nvidia 6800 GT (PCI-E)
1 x 74 GB Western Digital Raptor drive (for gaming)
1 x 120 GB Seagate 7200 RPM SATA drive (for everything else)

those are the basic components I would go with if I were him...I would also add another video card if he either has enuf money or buy one later on

Vampire_Slayer said:
Case-Anything that has good airflow and looks cool to him, possible thermaltake or Aspire
CPU-AMD FX-55
Mobo-DFI LANPARTY Ultra-D
Memory-1 gig dual channel G.Skill RAM
CD Drive-NEC drive that does just about everything can be found for like 50 bucks
Hard drives-two 74g raptor drives in raid 0 for gaming and like 100-120gig sata drive for everything else
PSU-Antec 480W Neopower
Video Card-eVga 6800gt, or maybe a BFG 6800 Ultra
Sound Card-Audigy 2 zs
-------------------------------------
If He is overclocking.....
CPU Fan-Zalman 7700
GPU Fan-Zalman gpu fan
~or~
custom water cooling
--------------------------------------
If he doesn't have an old mouse, keyboard or monitor.....
Monitor-A good 19" flat screen CRT
Mouse- Razor diamondback
Keyboard-Any decent keyboard
Speakers-Some good logitech, too lazy to find exact set
I would suggest something like this, except for $3000 I would get 2 6800 Ultra's in PCI-E and put them in SLI. he has the money fo it!

and I would sugest him getting a Venice core CPU. FX-55's are very good, but Venices are a lot more overclockable.
you can get an Athlon 64 Venice core (2GHZ stock) to 2.8GHZ on stock cooling and voltage.

don't get Corsair RAM, it is not very overclockable. G.Skill is the best for overclocking, otherwise OCZ or PQI - who make almost the same RAM as each other, only the heatspreaders are different - are good overclockers

for hard drives: appart from the 10k RPM Raptors, get Seagate drives

apokalipse said:
I would suggest something like this, except for $3000 I would get 2 6800 Ultra's in PCI-E and put them in SLI. he has the money fo it!

Like i said in my other post the guy is from Canada,Getting 2 6800's and say maybe a Amd Athlon64 3800+ would cost about $1500 or so right there,That's already half of the budget right there,Have to remember we can't get thing's as cheap as the state's :mad: :(

so with that $3000 budget, you spend $1500 on 2 6800 GT's, and an Athlon 64 3800+
that leaves $1500
knock $400-$500 off for tax, and you get $1000 for the rest of the parts.
I think that's plenty of money to get descent parts

You dont have to pay any tax unless you live in the state that the vendor is based out of.

Edit: Oh wait, you guys are talking about Canada. I dont know the Tax process up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom