Help me figure this out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolancer

Daemon Poster
Temp sensor confustion...

ok heres is the situation...
CPU - xp 3000 400fsb.

Motherbourd monitor 5 found 3 bourd sensors. Im trying to figure out witch is the CPU temp sensor.

1 - starts out random low numbers and steadys out at random 20s(24) at startup idling..... at full load it steadily increasess to 47c max

2 - stays rock solid some were around 28 at idle..... 31c max at full load

3 - stays right around 34 - 38 idle..... 42c max at full load
-------------------------------------------------

Ok, this is why im realy confused... my bios always says CPU is somewere from 34 - 38c idle. (even right at startup for the first time)

so it looks like sensor# 3 has it right on the money... but the max sensor#3 goes to is 42c? usually doesnt go above 40c... Don't AMD's at full load usually get hotter? (i dont have experience with any other temp readings)

Sensor# 1 goes up to a temp witch i thought might look more like cpu full load at 47c but at idle it drops back down to about 28c. and when i start up the comp, or restart. sensor1 is all randome like... -11c to 4c to 16c were it finally gets up to about 24c.... also, sensor#1 is a lot less responsive then the others, i have to leave the comp at full load for maybe 10 to 15 minuts maybe more, b4 senosr1 will start rising... were as the others start rising withing a minute.

so let me hear what u guys think is the Temp snesore for the CPU, cause i could use some advice.

also wile we'r on the subject... MBM5 also can read my HDD's Temp readings, it reads the HD at right about 33c.... what is the Max HD Temps are suppost to go up to? if anyone knows just for my own reference.

well dude heres a simple idea

take the fans off that are plugged in and whatever ones the bios isnt showing the rpms for is that one. and then just basic trial and error.

NickBrown7804 - no offence, but u didnt read my post... im looking for the CPU TEMPERATUR sensore, not the fan speed sensores.

more times than not sensor 1 is the CPU....it might be reading your CPU, ambient temp, northbridge/chipset temp in that order.

Don't know anything about HDD temp because it doesn't do that for mine.

When I change the sensor diode to another I'll either get -48, 48 or 120C being shown lol

Stick your finger in the CPU fan, easy way to tell

NOTE: Only do this with weak fans, no thermaltakes or tornado's

Thx for the input. but lol no im not going to stick my finger in the fan, unless its absolutly nessesary.

i think i figured it out though...

I disconnected all the case fans, so case tempature built up to 39c full load. and what sensor1 did that it didnt do befor is it gradually built up to 58c then it dropped back down to 20c and kept cycling like that. sensor3 idled at 45c and built up stead to 54c full load. so sensor 3 is prolly CPU.

strange though when i pluged all the case fans back in and restarted, sensor1 doesnt cycle.

EDIT: wile were on the topic, if any one knows, post what your max case temperature ever went up to with all your fans pluged in during for example - summer time. so i have reference to were i should set the max case temp alarm in MBM5.

Don't know anything about HDD temp because it doesn't do that for mine

HDD temps arent enabled by default. theres an option in there somewere to enable the reading of S.M.A.R.T HDDs. but read about the option in the Help file first, its not totally bug free, it said soemthing about having problems on win98/me , and possible hibernation power setting problems in w2k. but im on XP pro and dont use hibernation, so i enabled it.

jolancer said:
Thx for the input. but lol no im not going to stick my finger in the fan, unless its absolutly nessesary.

i think i figured it out though...

I disconnected all the case fans, so case tempature built up to 39c full load. and what sensor1 did that it didnt do befor is it gradually built up to 58c then it dropped back down to 20c and kept cycling like that. sensor3 idled at 45c and built up stead to 54c full load. so sensor 3 is prolly CPU.

strange though when i pluged all the case fans back in and restarted, sensor1 doesnt cycle.

EDIT: wile were on the topic, if any one knows, post what your max case temperature ever went up to with all your fans pluged in during for example - summer time. so i have reference to were i should set the max case temp alarm in MBM5.

22 degrees in the average spot

22 degrees in the average spot

22 for case temp in summer time?

i guess i should of stated... What were your case tempertures during room temp of 85F or higher.. 30c or higher.

it probably reaches 90F or higher were i live.

just a note - this entire time i mixed up sensor 1 with sensor 3 in all above posts.( im not using the pc at the moment) so it is sensor 1 that is the accurate one, and CPU temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom