Do the 6800 gt's need extra cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedub

In Runtime
The reason I ask is because yesterday I was messing around with mine, I used the detect optimal settings option, and tried running 3d mark 05. Well it got part way through and shut off, so I tried backing it down, and still the same thing. So next I tried default settings, and I tried it and it restarted my computer, and windows won't load. Any idea what is going on?

It should run fine with stock cooling. It was designed to cool the card properly, so unless you're overclocking a lot then it'll be fine.

So windows won't load at all now :eek:
Did you check your temps prior to OC'ing to see if you had some headroom? What was the OC at with "detect optimal settings?"

Well it has a built in fan, along with the stock fans you have, could be a faulty one, or maybe you OC'ed it too much, which = uh oh.

Overclocking in windows is very dangerous. Thats because windows overclocking failures, will corrupt windows. Which means windows cannot run anymore. Like what you are experiencing. But if your OC is not 100% stable, this is the same crap.

Im guessing your OC was not completely stable. You dident notice because you dident completely use your gpu. Now you ran 3D Mark. Which really uses that gpu, and it turn out that OC was not stable. So now windows is corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom