Help me out with RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaazmar

Baseband Member
A friend of mine has a Dell Dimension 4550 with a 256 DDR SDRAM chip in there and I want to get her another 256 chip. My only question involves PC speed. What's in there right now is either PC2100 or PC2700, and I was looking at a compatible Corsair 256 chip that is PC3200. It's only $20, and I know that the RAM will only run as fast as it's slowest chip, but could having a PC3200 in there with say a PC2100 cause any problems with speed or something else?

SECOND question: How can I find out what brands are good for RAM? I know some are pretty junky, but some are also way overpriced. What's a good way to find a safe middle ground?

THIRD question: Is it ok to mix brands with RAM, or would I be better off replacing my friends' RAM entirely instead of mixing a Dell with a Corsair, for example.

Thanks! J

1)You shouldnt have any problems mixing the 2 different speeds of ram.

2)Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, OCZ to name a few

3)It is ok to mix brands.

but if the origional one is 2100 and your new one is 3200 it will down clock to 2100 speeds or 266mhz/133mhz

You guys know anything about wireless USB adapters? What's the difference between the USB 1.1 and 2.0 ones? Would they affect internet connections? Or mainly the speed of inter-network file-sharing? I want to get a USB adapter for a newer computer on a Wireless-B network, and wasn't sure if I'd notice a lack of speed/quality with a USB 1.1 adapter versus a 2.0 adapter when using cable internet.

Thanks, J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom