Wireless USB Adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaazmar

Baseband Member
I am setting up a wireless network for a friend. They have a D-Link Wireless B router and I wanted to get one of the PCs hooked up with a USB adapter. This is a new PC with USB 2.0, of course, and I was wondering, with a B network, should I get a USB adapter that is USB 1.1 or 2.0? Does it matter with a B router? Would there be a difference in the speed an quality of internet access through the network? Or would this mainly effect file sharing speeds within the network?

Thanks!
Jason

As long as the protocols are compliant, the speed of the USB link doesn't make a difference. If the router will only operate on a speed meant for 1.0, you'll just have a lot of unused overhead.

So you're saying that a 1.1 vs. a 2.0 USB adapter really wouldn't matter with a newer computer hooked into a Wireless-B system?

USB 2.0 wouldn't work any faster, is that what you're saying?

How about with a Wireless-G system, would one be better off with a USB 2.0 adapter? Does the USB speed affect internet connections (which are limited in speed based on the provider)?

Thanks, J

If your router is only capable of handling protocols designed for a slower 1.1 connection, the fact that you have a larger pipeline (bandwidth) doesn't make a difference. This is like putting a big powersupply into a computer that's not using all that wattage. Just because you can pump through 600watts, and your system is only working with 300watts, doesn't mean things won't work.

The connection bandwidth has nothing really to do with this. Especially in your scenario. Now, if you had said you had a router designed for 2.0, that wasn't backwards compatable with 1.1, then no, it wouldn't work. As long as the modem says it can work with a B-type protocol network, yer fine. The speed doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom