Hardware Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep, the risk of building a cpu urself :(

Anyway, if you figure out what the problem might be, speak up, if u don't mind.

Thanks

sure thing.. only problem is i dont have accsess to my computer at home yet, using one at my school at the moment.. but will definitly keep you posted asap

you said the computer came on then froze up. Did it display the correct cpu type when it came on. Or did it say unknow or something besides what it was. If it did you may want to flash the bios, cpu may be set at the wrong multiplier and running unstable.

That only time that I could see stuff on the screen it recognized all the drives (burner, Dvd, memory) and it also displayed the right processor speed and type. Then when it ran some bios test or something like that IDE initialization it froze up. That was after 5-6 times rebooting my machine before i was able to see the screen come on. After that, no luck at all. Any suggestion what I should do?

go to minimum configuration, video card, one stick of ram, cpu and fan. No ide devices, no floppy ( just unplug the cables from the motherboard), just those 3 things. Maybe something else is causing the computer to freeze. Even a bad PCI card can be enough to freeze a whole system. If it still does it with this, i would try your original processor. Did your original processor do the same thing. You said you messed it up, was it physical damage or are you assuming that it is messed up because it did not work.

i tried to boot the machine withought the 2 cd-roms, but I will try what you recommended above later tonight (just cpu, one stick - that's what i have now, and video card).

What happened with my previous processor was this:

I was trying to clean up the whole motherboard, and around the processor area(i can't remeber exactly but I think I took off the heathsink and unscrewed the fan because they were pretty durty /i had a small accident/). After I started the machne, I could smell something bad, and in a few seconds the machine just shut down by itself. I thought it was the power supply at first, so I tried a different one, but it didn't work. I was able to run the pc for just a few seconds every time i pressed the start button and there was some strange noice, and the pc would automatically shut down again. Then, I removed the processor, and started it again, and the pc kept on running until I shut it down. That's why i said I think the processor was messed up. Now as I replaced with with a new one, it does not have that problem, but I cannot boot up for some reason?!?

A Way to test the CPU as far as startup goes, Unplug your CPU fan from the Mobo, Put your hand on the CPU chip. If it heats up in like 2 seconds, disconnect the Power, Ya know the CPU is firing up. Scary test but it works as far as knowing the CPU is working. AKA=Generating Heat..from the CPU. Microbell is right if
ya smell a burning stench OUCH!!!

NO don't take the heatsink off of the CPU!!! are you crazy kboy??

doing that will guarantee your CPU will be fried in seconds. if you try touching that you will be burned very badly. that was the worse advice you could give someone.

ive heard that WITH heatsink they get to about 49 degrees (not sure if it was celcius or farenheight)
tell us what the PC detects on POST, and where it stops. this should tell you if any of the devices are actually freezing the computer on boot.
did you earth yourself when cleaning the computer? might have been a spark of static electricity and fried something

I know it's extreme, but it takes a split second to heat up, Kill the power. Ya don't hold onto the CPU & leave your hand there. I've used this technique before and others I know have too. I didn't say remove the heatsink just unplug the CPU fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom