messed my computer up

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdawg

Daemon Poster
long story: I bought a 6600 GT and it worked for a week & gave out. I sent it back.

When I got the new one I first uninstalled ATI drivers. Part of the instructions I had to do this had me go to run - regedit - and then remove some ATI drivers in there.

I must have done something wrong with that step because my PC wouldn't reboot. I figure have deleted a part of windows that I needed.

I figured screw it, I have a thousand songs and a resume saved on it and can get that all back, so I used the recovery disks that I had to burn when I set up my PC (its a gateway).

After the reformat I reinstalled Far Cry.

I click "PLAY" I hear the disk spinning like crazy and far cry shuts down.

Anyone heard of anything like this, or know what the problem is?

One other time I uninstalled and tried to reinstall Far Cry, is it a glitch when you have uninstalled & reinstalled a couple times or something?

Even after I reinstalled my Gateway disks there are no ATI drivers, so I guess that the recovery disks are just XP (I had to go through XP setup again) and the free AOL and other junk that they include.

Were you able to get back all your songs and resume and whatnot?

XP's recovery is crap at best dude, personally I've never had very good luck with it.

You might want to invest in a new HD whenever you can, it's like $60 for an 80gb, or newegg has 200gb for $100 which I think I may be doing in the future.

Anyway, the only problem with far cry I know of is it's horribly glitchy without the 1.3v patch so you should get that.

You need to get a straight up WinXP disc, because yeah that gateway will install a bunch of crap right off the bat.

So whats the current status of your computer BTW, not sure if I fully understand, you got everything reinstalled and far cry was just acting weird?

Did you re-install the drivers for the video card? you didnt mention that you did

XP recovery is crap.

What I thought I was doing was just reinstalling XP, it called itself a "non destructive restore to reinstall XP", what really happened was it took everything off my computer like anti virus I bought, anti spyware I bought, drivers for 802.11 G wireless adapter I bought for the desktop, songs, and my resume.

I guess I'll just use my laptop until I get around to reinstalling all that but I was hoping I could at least enjoy my new video card & game on there.

I have put on the two latest patches on there, 1.3 & 1.31, and also got the latest drivers.

Just weird that it shuts down like that.

current state of my computer = xp & the free BS gateway includes + drivers for new video card + far cry which shuts down instantly.

so is your graphics card working properly? like is far cry the only game that wont work?

its the only game I own at the moment so I haven't been able to try anything else.

what exactly would turning up the displayed settings do?

The games crashing, so I don't see what the display settings would effect

hey i do not know if it will work but on those oem xp cds you have
there is a folder called $OEM$ make a copy of the disk and exclude that file. When i opened the cd for my aunts emachines and my grandfathers dell all that was in there was stupid installers like 3rd party programs and other things. I do not know if it will make a clean install or just screw up the install but it is worth a try. Tell me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom