Not open for further replies.

kittycat

Beta member
Hello!

I have some question about RAM....

The DDR-ram is 184-pin correct?

1>~What does 'DIMM 3-3-3' stands for?
~What does it mean/does?

2>~What is CL 2.5 means?(There is also CL3 and CL 2-3-2-5, etc)
~What does it do?

3>~What is ECC?
~What does it do?
~What is the difference between ECC and non-ECC?

4>~Some DDR ram spec. said it is unbuffer, what does it mean?
~What does it do?

5>~Some of them have 64Mx8 Dram(32Mx8 Dram) in their spec. What is it?
~What does it do?

6>~Why some ram Spec. have Dimm or Dram?

7>~I have notice that some motherboard have 3 or 4 slot for the DDr ram. And I have heard that some of these motherborad have to has the same type and same spec. of the DDR ram in order to work(It doesn't work if you have only 1 of them) is it true? If yes how can I know which motherboard that can take 1 Ram or 3 ram?

Please help.

Thank you.

kittycat said:
Hello!

I have some question about RAM....

The DDR-ram is 184-pin correct?

1>~What does 'DIMM 3-3-3' stands for?
~What does it mean/does?

2>~What is CL 2.5 means?(There is also CL3 and CL 2-3-2-5, etc)
~What does it do?

3>~What is ECC?
~What does it do?
~What is the difference between ECC and non-ECC?

4>~Some DDR ram spec. said it is unbuffer, what does it mean?
~What does it do?

5>~Some of them have 64Mx8 Dram(32Mx8 Dram) in their spec. What is it?
~What does it do?

6>~Why some ram Spec. have Dimm or Dram?

7>~I have notice that some motherboard have 3 or 4 slot for the DDr ram. And I have heard that some of these motherborad have to has the same type and same spec. of the DDR ram in order to work(It doesn't work if you have only 1 of them) is it true? If yes how can I know which motherboard that can take 1 Ram or 3 ram?

Please help.

Thank you.

Man, you ever heard google? The internet was a great invention I must tell you. Good man that old Bob Dole eh?

Heres a couple for you, I know its hard to type in a few keywords and hit 'enter':

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=59542

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2223

3) No sure if you'll find this one, but simply put it makes sure there are no errors in read/write with memory. More expensive, more pain in ass, not required by most MB's.

6) Don't worry about it, its all DDR DIMM compatable memory.

7) You can always check the motherboard's manual (online if needed) to see which ram works, but these people telling you that you need two of the same kind are talking about Dual Channel. This gives you 1.87 times better performance, but having 1024mb ram in DC or SC is awesome either way - go for amount before badwidth IMHO.

1) Yes
2) It means the latencies, the lower the better.
3) ECC is error checking, usually only server motherboards use it.

4)Buffered ram is the same as ECC
5)32*8 means that on the stick of ram there is 8 32mb chips
6)Dimm is the form factor that it comes it, it mean Direct inline memory module (or something like that), DRAM mean Dynamic Random Acess memory

thanks guys.

oh and dear alec... it not that i'm lazy to search the answers(and yes I heard of google, fact is i'm using it) it just gets very frustrating when the search result didn't have any good site that give good answers and most of them are not what I want to see....but anyway thanks for the reply.

DIMM = Dual Inline Memory Module as opposed to SIMM = Single Inline Memory Module, you know, those old sticks with chips just on one side.

they still do have dual and single sided DDR, some motherboards if using all 4 slots require you have all single sided modules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom