Paging File?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewhohasissues

In Runtime
I had problems with a game and contacted surport then they requested a direct X test results so I sent em and they said I should mess with my paging files, setting em to new levels in the email.

What exactly does the paging file do? And will this in anyway improve? Or effect my computer in a negative way.

Email:

"Thank you for sending us the result of Dx-Diag test.
I would suggest you adjust your paging file. How you do this is by going to START - Control Panel - System - Advanced TAB - Performance SETTINGS - Advanced TAB - Virtual memory CHANGE - Custom size -. First set the size to 0 (zero). Defrag your hard drive and then go back to the settings and set Initial size to 1024 and the Maximum size to 4096 - SET - OK - OK - OK."

they pretty much told you how to do it. your paging file is your virtual memory file (a part of your hard drive that act like ram. it is nowhere near as fast as physical ram though).

A paging file is like ram but slower and on your HDD. Even if you have 2gb or any large amount of ram, some programs wont run without a page file.

I think my original page size was 7,000ish? I'm doing as it says now but is this in anyway increasing performance? Or lowering it?

set it to 2.5 times your size for 512 or less. 1gig to 2 gig and 2 gig to 1- 1.5 gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom