Urgent Video Card Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottB

Beta member
Hello all.

I recently had my ATI Rage Pro video card working perfectly - Displaying a tv output at a resolution of 1200*800 under Windows XP.

The computer recently had a harddrive failure and i have had to re-install everything.

After reinstalling the card my TV output had been effected. I can now only have an output of 800 * 600. If i increase the resolution the image does not fit tot he screen (either tv or monitor).

An image is displayed but the screen scrolls left and right and up and down to enable the screen to be seen.

I really need a higher resolution to be displayed but cannot have this scrolling thing occuring.

I have downloaded the latest drivers but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

ScottB

This may sound stupid, but did you adjust the size of the picture after you changed it to 1200x800. As in go into your moniter controls, and adjust to fit. good luck.

Ive tried adjusting all of the monitor setting and it does'nt make any difference. It is really strange and annoying at the same time

Thanks for having a guess though

ScottB

refresh rate

change your refresh rate. should be: display/ settings/ advanced/ adapter. Try all, one of them should remedy.

Hi ScottB, you said that you re-installed everything so you re-installed your OS, didn't you? If not, try to re-install winXP.

And there is an advice that you should use the drivers which go with winXP.

I had the same problem happen to me when I was building my last system. Only I was using a Geforce 440MX VC not the ATI. Now here comes the upsetting news, THE POWER OUTAGE BUSTED YOUR VIDEO CARD. It still displays just not the way its suposed to. Annoying and frustrating I know but if you decide to buy a new Video Card, let me know ill help you out finding a cheap one.

Are we talking about HDTV or just normal PAL/NTSC?

'Fraid I don't know much about HDTV but if its a normal telly your gfx card will convert the desktop resolution to the selected format (ie PAL=576 lines) it WILL NOT show higher resolutions. A normal TV CANNOT show more pixels than are available (so if you have a higher res picture it will only show part of the picture). On a PAL TV, a monitor res of 800*600 is the closest to a PAL's maximum of 720*576. This is why it looks OK (ish), go higher and you only get part of the picture..............what you want is a LOWER resolution...........which is what the TV-out does (when set up..........................)

Your problem sounds more like you have lost the original settings. What you should have is an option somewhere in Display Properties>Settings>Advanced>Overlay>Clone Mode to show TV-out FULL SCREEN VIDEO. Also make sure that 'Same on All' is NOT checked (use Theatre or Standard mode).

Once set up correctly it makes no difference what your desktop resolution is your gfx card will just convert it to your selected TV format (as it used to do.....).

Don't forget the 'shown' TV Resolution is only the resolution to be CONVERTED to your selected TV format, not as is commonly mistaken the TV-out resolution itself.......

Oh, and by the way, which Display have you set as PRIMARY?

PS. Or re-install everything, replace everything, jump through rings, turn round three times, go see a witch doctor, eat only raw offel.................................and the end result will be the same, 'Mister, my TV-out is broken'

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom