Outlook 2K craziness

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorsak

Beta member
#1. Not a novice. I do this for a living.
#2. I am not an anti-microsoft tech but there are days when I just want to go postal on them.

Here's my problem:

I upgraded a client from outlook express to outlook 2K. Imported all their mail, contacts, etc. Everything went fine.

I sent and received a test mail... all's well.

Then the client asked, "Why doesn't the name pop up when I start typing an e-mail address."

"Hmmm... don't know.. it should default to that setting on", I reply. Let's check. There's no box for "Suggest names while completing To, CC, BCC" to check. It's normally under tools > options > e-mail options > Advanced e-mail options.

I check the web to make sure I'm not crazy. It's supposed to be there. I'm am crazy but right.

I then updated all the service packs, etc etc. Still... no box to check to "Suggest names..."

Ok... I'm tired of messing with this. I install Office XP. WAHOO!!!! I now have the box to check to suggest names and it is already checked like I thought it should be.

STILL NOT WORKING! Here's where it gets real fun.

Now... If I type a partial part of the display name (I.E. "Joe") and click on the "Check name" icon, it immediatly resolves my display name to the proper e-mail address.

Now for even MORE fun...

If I then type Joe it automatically completes the e-mail address... WAHOO!!! It's WORKING!!!

UNTIL.... you close outlook. As soon as you close outlook, you have the same problem all over again. Once you "Check name" it remembers to autocomplete the name until outlook is closed again.

Anyone who can solve this gets a $20 and a round of beer at any favorite bar next time they're in Houston, TX.

If I'm posting in the wrong place, then someone just shoot me now... cause I get tired of trying to make sure it's posted in the righ tforum only to have some wise guy point out that I should have posted in..... X.

Thanks in advance for any brilliance or general humor that someone might find / add to this dismal situation.

did you send an email to joe? i think outlook 2002 and up, saves to the autocomplete list when you send an email to an address.

What I usually do for our clients at work is take the GAL for our specific site and simulate as I am going to send an E-Mail to all of them then click the "check names" so that it saves this into is db and will appear when they type even one letter.

It sounds like when outlook is closing it does not have proper authority to save the settings..Is this user local administrator to the machine? I would check the persmissions to see if that is the problem.

Yes. I sent e-mail to Joe. No luck there.

User accoutn is a local admin. You do, however, bring up an intersting point. Outlook might not have permission for some ingenius Microsoft reason. I will check into that. It's a good lead at any rate.

Thanks for the effort guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom