Radiator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcr9521

Baseband Member
I am getting ready to purchase my costum water cooling, and I have a couple of questions about the radiator. I have read numerous places that a modded heatcore works very well. Would this preform as well as a Black Ice Xtreme III Triple 120mm PC Radiator?
Also would it be better to have the radiator in the bottom pulling cold air in from the outside or should I put it on the top exhausting the air out?
Thanx for any help

Modded Heatercores perform just as well, if not in most cases better than any commercial radiator you'll find around, not to mention for a fraction of the price.

http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=228&p=647

You want the radiator mounted at the bottom in my opinion, hot air rises so the heatercore will keep cooler down near the bottom and heat will dissipate better, and you want cooler air being sucked in through the base of the case onto the core to keep it cool. Plus with the core mounted at the bottom gravity can help out your flow as you pump doesn't have to work as hard to push the water all the way to the top.

Mount a top blow hole in your case and I gurantee you it'll see pleasing results.

Assuming you did have it at the top youd still want the fans on the bottom of the heatercore pulling air through it and blowing into the case. You wouldn't want the already heated computer air being sucked through it

Alright thanx guys.
And for the heatercore would the 1986 Chevrolet Chevette heatercore be the best one?
And i would mount the fans against the bottom of the case then the heatercore so the air blows through it as apposed to "sucking" it through, correct.

get a 2-302 1977 Pontiac Boneville core. That's what I got.

heatercore.jpg

Heres mine modded and ready for barbs.

jbweld.jpg

And about the fans, you'd want them sucking air through the heatercore for best results, not blowing through it.....also you need a shroud so it lifts the fans off the heater core itself to get rid of the dead spot in the middle of the fans

yup

heaterfans.jpg

Don't get anything less than 120x38mm fans, they are the thicker ones, it will help air flowing through those really thick fins on the heatercore

And when u modded the tubes for the barbs did u just cut the pipe then JB weld the fittings on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom