Venice core woot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want one bad :( But the winchesters still have a bit of life left in them. Also, i heard that 3.ghz for a 3200 venice isnt stretching it that much. those things are beasts!

The ram isnt underclocked, it's just not 2:1
??? he says he's running it at 166MHz, and his sig says PC3200 RAM.......that's underclocked.

BTW: His picture isn't showing up for me, sooo yeah if it says different there, this is why I'm making comments based off his text

There we go.. I had sisoft sandra benchmark included in the photo but i couldnt post it because it was to big..

To answer your question about memory.. My memory is actually overclocked, not sure why there is so much confusion over it..

FSB = 263
Mem = 166
266 - 200 = 66
166 + 66 = 232mhz fsb for my ram

your ram is also overclocked with the fsb. it's usually the first thing to go when you're overclocking and it usually taps out at around 30-40mhz overclock. My ram will do exactly 40mhz before i get blue screens in windows.

To answer your question about memory.. My memory is actually overclocked, not sure why there is so much confusion over it..
Because you said this:

"166mhz ram clock"

166Mhz = DDR333 = PC2700 = Underclocked, and since your photo was just showing an X I didn't see anything to disprove that until this latest photo

I still don't understand this little formula

FSB = 263
Mem = 166
266 - 200 = 66

I know how overclocking works and how it's tied to the FSB, but you're explaining it strangely here, if your RAM is at 232 you simply need to say you have a divider so your CPU is running at 263 and your memory is running at 232, I don't see where you're getting 166 + 66?? wheres this extra 66 coming into play.

Get a CPU-Z shot of the memory tab.

Nice OC though, those venices are hitting basically atleast 2.7GHz every time

FSB = 263
Mem = 166
266 - 200 = 66
Wha...?

I don't understand how you've determined this all, your memory should run stock at 200MHz, not 166MHz. I don't know where you're pulling all these other numbers from...

FSB controls RAM, CPU and a couple other things.. When you overclock it overclocks EVERYTHING.. If i had ddr400 (pc3200) ran it at 200mhz (like its supposed to) then overclocked to 263mhz (63mhz overclock) my ram would run at 263mhz. This would blow up my ram instantly.

So, you downclock your base memory so when you overclock it runs it at normal speed, or just slightly over. I'm not sure what about this is so hard to grasp

it used to be back in the day with p3 that when you overclocked FSB it even overclocked your hard drives...

edit: oh... and i didnt say what the divider was because my motherboard doesnt have a divider like some of the others.. I Know the asus a8v, a8n-sli, gigabyte k8ns*, and a couple others do it like that... but not mine.. i have to set my mem clock manually.

Yes, yes, we're all aware of the 1:1 ratio of the FSB with other motherboard components, you just said in an earlier post that you were running the memory at 166MHz, which I intrepreted as underclocked as it's below the 200MHz stock speeds.

I didn't realize you used memory dividers to lower it to 166MHz, and then increased the FSB furthurmore to compensate.

BTW, your RAM wouldn't "explode", since you have Cas Latency of 2 I'm guessing you have fairly decent memory so you should be able to keep your 1:1 ratio and loosen timings accordingly. Even if you did overclock to a point of instability your RAM would at most error and fail to boot, components don't have explosives built into them. :p

Lol, it doesnt explode but it only gets 40mhz worth of overclock before it starts bugging out in windows.. Sorry i like to be to technical sometimes..

My memory is more or less corsair.. It's all the same.. just different heat spreaders with different stickers.. The company i work for is going to start putting custom heatspreaders on our ram. 10 cents per heatspreader (20 cents a stick).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom