my comp wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

keasheo

Solid State Member
My computer will not boot. When I have any AGP card in the system the system will not even give me any beep code; unless I remove all RAM, then I get a DRAM error beep code. We have tried compatable memory from other systems and we get the same error.
When I remove the video card I get a no video card beep code. I put an old PCI video card in the system (the card is some old Trident from 1994),unlike the AGP cards, I get the POST screen instead of a blank screen. But, the system freezes at the POST screen. We bought a new motherboard of the same model, and we still get the same problem as we did with the orignal motherboard. I thought it might be a grounding problem, considering that the system is acrylic and not metal, but I called up Gigabyte's tech support and they said that
grounding the system to the power supply is not needed. I would appreciate your help.
Thank You.

-AMD Athlon 64 3000+
-Gigabyte GA-K8VNXP Motherboard
-Corsair XMS 512MB PC3200, non-ecc, unbuffered (2)
-Seagate SATA 80GB
-Radeon 9600, 256MB, AGP 8x
-Toshiba SD-R5372 DVD Burner
-Samsung DVD-ROM
-LogiSys 500 watt power supply
-LogiSys acrylic case

You might have damaged your motherboard. It would probably be best to take it to a computer shop to get them to look at it first hand to tell you what exactly is up with it. ;)

Are you installing the metal pegs that go on the case before you mount the mobo to the case? Something is shorting the board out.

We have replaced the motherboard, and the motherboard is installed on the standoffs in the case.

Howdy,
I think I found out the problem. We tested every piece of equipment with another system, except one, the cpu. We didn't have another system compatable with it so we couldn't test it on another system. I don't know why I hadn't confronted this possible problem (a bad cpu). I think I was in denial about it being the problem (the darn thing is expensive). But, when you start thinking abuot it a bad cpu is really the only explaination. I am going to have a different cpu tested in it before buying a new one, just to be sure I won't be buying a new cpu to find out that it wasn't problem. I will post the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom