graphic card OC help

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroordie

In Runtime
Hey, I wanted to know if ur maximum OCing capabilities on graphics cards depends on the GPU's temp or on the lack of voltage when you OC it? If so, would you recommend that i buy a better heatsink for my GPU (geforce 6600) as to overclock it more then i have now?

You got any experiece of overclocking? I recommend that you buy a high quality heat sink.

Ummm.......couldn't this be simply answered in the thread you already started about graphics cards OC'ing?

Overclocking your GPU is regulated by the same factors as any other computer component. First is Heat, then the components architecture limit. Heat is the most common, because the more you increase your computers speed, the additional heat you will receive. People arent lucky enough to reach their architecture limit.

Once you reach the architecture limit, any further OC will become unstable.

Side note: you really aint going to reach the architectural limit short of some hefty volt mods and subzero temps ;)

so to overclock any more than i have now i would need to buy a better heatsink, but will it really give me like 50-75 more Mhz on mem and core speed or will it just give me an extra 10-20, cuz if thats the case than i dont think that buying an expensive heatsink is a smart move on my part.
and will raising the voltage at the PCI-E slot make my card any more stable if i raise the core and mem speed alot?

Heatsinks, and any cooling you can get helps. As far as voltage, I don't think that's a problem. Just keep it cool, and check for artifacts.

will raising the voltage at the PCI-E slot make my card any more stable if i raise the core and mem speed alot?
No

Don't mess with that voltage

Depending on how well you cool it, you could get upwards of 50MHz......not so much memory though, memory is kind of limited, and doesn't get hot as it is, so even when cooled you don't see significant gains.

Couldn't tell you how much of a gain to expect though. That kind of luck varies from card to card

ok, i'll be getting a GPU heatsking in the next few days, but for now i've OCed my core clock from 300 to 371 and my mem clock from 500 to 601 and played UT2004 for about 40 minutes straight and have seen no signs of overheating, so i'll try to OC a bit further tonight.
by the way is it more effective to raise your mem clock or your core clock? by that i mean which will have the most positive effect?
and by the way i've had my eye on a pci fan such as this one:
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556041894.html
seeing as how i have 3 pci 1* under my PCI-E slot and only under these normal PCI slots, will the distance be to big for the PCI fan to be any use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom