Better to leave pc on continuously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joeisalsocool said:
On the contrary horndude, If one has a computer loaded with ad and spy ware running all night, you never know what'll happen.

Well I suppose if one's pc has already been infected by adware or spyware, whether he leaves it on continuously or otherwise doesn't make any difference, right?

That's why, to protect my pc, I had installed Ad-aware, Spybot - Search & Destroy Anti-adware, Norton Antivirus and ZoneAlarm Firewall software. But I think more importantly, I do not, as a rule, simply download or open any file/attachment that I am not sure of the source. Neither do I file-swap or sharing my files over any network.

And as an extra precaution, I've also cloned my drive C on a second HDD (in addition to backing up My Documents) and I would remove that drive from the CPU after cloning and keep it in a safe place. In the event of attack I believe I can recover quickly by just swapping the HDD. As for the infected HDD I can take my time to sort it out later.

Now that I've been convinced by you guys that it is safe to leave the pc onb continuously, I think when I'm not using it I'll just simply unplug my USB wireless network adapter for additional protection.

Thanks for all the opinions

well since nobody in my household has a car, or uses any heating at all, or uses incandescant lighting (we use the flurescant type) i think i can leave my computer on overnight. :)

waynejkruse10 said:
well since nobody in my household has a car, or uses any heating at all, or uses incandescant lighting (we use the flurescant type) i think i can leave my computer on overnight. :)

How does having a car change anything?

DJ chris mentioned the environment, not having a car wont emit as much greenhouse gases. Electricity generation also contributes to greenhouse gases so not having a car would balance out the equation of leaving the pc overnight by far.

Joeisalsocool said:
On the contrary horndude, If one has a computer loaded with ad and spy ware running all night, you never know what'll happen.

The OS I use is immune to spyware,malware,adware, and any other wares other than what I put on it, didnt cost me a dime either.It stays on 24/7, current uptime is..........154days currently,and between p2p and ripping dvd's, I average about 25Gb's per day of data going thru this thing.

What I meant was, if you have a clean machine, and its connected to the net via broadband, you shouldnt have any worries, and if you do, check your OS, cause it sucks.Absolutely silly to have to be worried about attacks.Check out some of the hacker challenges, isnt so easy to get in and do anything, trust me,ive tried.

Doesn't matter what OS you use at all. Doesn't matter what connection you have, how much you use it, what kind of PC you have, or any of that.

All you need to have is the intelligence and maturity to use a PC. It's not rocket science.

As for switching on and off...as long as you do it properly, you'll have no problems. Hardware today is much better than it was 5 years ago, and the ability to shutdown effectively and safely is greater than ever.

IMOH I would leave it on 24/7. I leave mine on all the time and it is fine. Both of my hard drives are fine and everything works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom