PC Freezes After X minutes of being up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

Daemon Poster
Another PC... and older one put together with new parts!

AMD Athlon 1.1GHz
Foxconn motherboard
socket A
radeon 9500 pro
WinXP Pro w/SP2

We just got this together, and at first when the computer was on for so long, the monitor shut off, but sounds still worked and you could do things with the computer--just no monitor. Reseating was the only fix. Then after resetting the card, installing the original drivers, and rebooting it fixed it partially. Now it freezes the screen, but the sounds continue to play in the background like normal.

This occurs after a given amount of time, usually 10-15 minutes... whether playing a game (WC3) or just idling at the desktop.

Any ideas what could cause this?

thanks again all!
:)

SHAWN said:
turn off hibernation and set the monitor to shut off "never" and put on a screen saver
...:eek: :confused:

His computer is not going into hibernation. His screen is blank, but he is still able to hear sounds and "do things", which might be an indication that the computer is not in the off-state that hibernation would entail.

His problem also doesn't have to do with the power saver settings for his monitor. Windows can "turn off" his monitor whenever it likes. He would be able to wake it back up easily.

This is a deeper problem. As suggested before, re-seat your video card, and make sure it has the best drivers for it. You might also want to check your BIOS and chipset drivers, since if those are faulty you'll experience similar problems. Also, check that monitor cable to make sure it's okay, and try the monitor on another box.

id hate to be wrong on this... but maybe u should try ur cables, some are old/bad and can over heat or maybe not plugged in all the way no power.. no moniter. i doubt it but it might be why sorry if i am wrong

thanks for the help all, will try when I get home. just downloaded the latest bios--and I have another graphics card to test with so all is good. I'll let you know (thx!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom