Athlon 64 to go exclusively 939

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
As posted on neowin.net:

The Athlon 64 processor family will fully transition to 939-pin, AMD has told its vendors. Last orders are expected until June and will be delivered until December. Good news for everyone who wants PCI-e, or wants to snap up a bargain 754 Athlon 64 & motherboard.

Another reason for this change is the X2 (dual core Athlon 64), AMD seems to be trying to rapidly ramp up production for the new chip. Leaving no room for the older design. There is no word yet on whether the Sempron will also go exclusively 939 as well.

For the consumer AMD spelled out the advantages of this move:

* Performance: A higher system I/O bandwidth of 14.4GB/s compared to 9.6GB/s delivered by the AMD Athlon 64 processor in Socket 754
* Low Power: Ideal for use in smaller form factor enclosures, digital home and entertainment solutions and commercial desktop PCs.
* AMD's Cool'n'Quiet(tm) Technology: Cool'n'Quiet technology is supported as standard on Socket 939 mainboards, reducing processor power, heat and system noise even further!
* PCI Express(tm) Infrastructure: Huge selection and availability of Socket 939 PCI-Express mainboards: discrete graphics or integrated graphics solutions, ATX and uATX.
* Ready for dual-core processor: Socket 939 offers a single architecture for both the single and dual-core AMD processors.

Link to article: http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=28185&category=main

Sempron is going to go 939? Holy hell!! They even might make SLI chipsest for Semprons then.

cool, can you say athlon 64 socket 754+mobo for $100 in a few months, they will be cheap cheap cheap

wonder how much longer the duron will be around?Duron 1.8ghz is about $75 w/mobo right now

Well that is all good news. Having the x64 in 754pin is like having an automatic Mustang GT, just pointless.

Cant wait to get mine.

Yeah those Venice cores are looking pretty good in the future for me. I think those are exclusive to socket 939. :) I like Him's view of socket 754 lol.

Well, there hasn't been a new socket 754 chip since the 3700+ Clawhammer, and the only thing keeping that socket going was the Sempron, or the possibility of the mobile Athlon 64s sticking to that platform. However, with Turions supposed 1GHz HTT speed and 90nm process, I don't think AMD has any plans of keeping anything on 754.

If they migrate everything to 939, it'll simply be to eliminate that platform so they can introduce M2 in the next year or so.

Dude you think automatic mustangs are dumb? On ebay there was an automatic FERRARI 360 MODENA!

desiboi said:
Dude you think automatic mustangs are dumb? On ebay there was an automatic FERRARI 360 MODENA!

That is posibly the single most pointless and dumb thing I have ever seen written in response to a post. I made an analogy, comparing a Mustang. NOT A FERRARI MODENA!

Anyway, the Ferrari Modena has an automatic with paddles. That transmission has a quicker response rate than the human response rate with a manual.

Point is, that had nothing to do with what I was saying. Please leave the stupid comments out.

Why would you own an automatic ferrari.. thats even dumber than pwning an automatic mustang gt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom