PLEaSE HELP!!!!Cant load windows after repare..need to backup my files and format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
About a month ago, I tried installing SP2 form a windows xp cd and when I was done, it asked me to reboot and I did and when it reboots, windows does not load. It keeps on restarting and restarting and cant load.
A week ago, i tried installing it after I downloaded it and the same thing happened.
Yesterday, i inserted my Windows XP Pro cd and tried repairing it AND THE SAME HAPPENED!! Could not load to windows.
sometimes when the it restarts a blue screen appears for a fractoin of a second and then it restarts
I REALLY NEED HELP!!! I NEED TO MAKE IT WORK B/C I HAVE TO SUBMIT AN ESSAY SOON!

Is there any way I can do system restore b/c i created a restore point before trying to repair.i need to do it from the cmd but how can i get it? i have a windows ME startup disk and i can get to ms dos (or whatever its name is) from there
is there any command or anything to type that can do system restore??/

Another option, can I take my initial drive C (which contains the os) to another computer, hook it up and access the files so that I can back them up??? does it work if the hard drives has already an os installed??

I do need to format the computer BUT I NEED TO copy the files I already have there because they are important!!

PLEASE I REALLY NEED HELP!! I have to make it work asap!!!

(please reply soon b/c i am at my friends' on their computer!1)

any help is much appreciated

thank you

lol
well let me tell you this best way... is to do what u were asking and set it up as slave.
why? kus SP2 will be able to work better if u install it right after windows. so that will be good for you :)
you know how to set up a slave drive right? if not post back and ill tell u how

have you tried just going into safe mode? if you can make it there, should be fine and just a problem with either a driver or a startup item. see if you can do that first.

put it as slave, copy your important files, then reformatted that hard drive

Thank you for your replies
Yes, I have tried safe mode and it did not work
I want to put my hard disk as slave in my fathers computer at his clinic but the problem is that it is old; ie, the hard disk is old and the os is windows me.
Does it work?
As for the slave, what is the abrv.? cs/ds/... I see different abreviations and dont know what to put it at. There is salve or master or slave/master or something else like cable select...
What are the positions I can use?

Thank you again

I have upgraded my fathers computer from windows me to xp pro.
I put my initial hd as slave (drive C; the one which has the os on it)

and it worked. I backed all my files...
But the problem is I can figure out how to connect my second hd (maxtor

40GB)
I tried Slave and windows does not recognize it.
I go to my comptuer and there is nothing there.
Ive tried different combinations but nothing is woking. (even in the

bios, there is no slave hd installed)

The info on the hard disk looks like that;

. . . . .
. . . .

(Please see the attached image)

What jumper position(s) should I put???
I need to make win xp pro read the files on the hard disk so that I can back them up too like I did with the other hd.

Thank yOu again

make sure the first hd is set to master. if it don't work, set the jumper on both drives to cable select

there SHOULD be a picture on the hard drive with how to set it up as slave and master. now make sure you are using the right jumper as well.. i believe its the one on the end for slaves..
or does that only matter for cd roms and floppy? lol i think it applies for hard drives... anyhow if you cant get it to read try another computer maybe..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom