No IP through Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is a hub,the hub can not get an IP from the modem it is not designed to do so.Is it a router or hub.If it is a router hook-up one computer to it and pull an IP from the router.It should be 192.168,or 172.16,or10...Look at the default gateway that is the access into the router.Type that address in the address bar of IE and use the password provided with the book for your router.After you hook the computer up what is the first octet of your IP in other words the first number before the "."?

Thanks a lot so far for your help. As I am at work I can't check on that stuff right now but its the first thing I do when I am going home. It is a hub, NH1005.
I would just like to thank you and anyone else who helps with this. This is actually a network that my grandparents are on that I take care of, so its important to me to get it fixed and I have been totally stumped.

If it is just a hub, that means, you would need to have rights to two IP's from your ISP. Is that the case? If so, you need to call them. If you just have regular DSL with one IP, you need a router, not a hub. The router will obtain the IP from the ISP, then the router will assign internal IP's to the two computers.

well it has been working for 8 months now and it just stopped, i have been getting internet fine on both computers. should it not have been working? its a network everywhere 10/100 fast ethernet hub

I am guessing that no, it shouldn't of been working if that's the case. Are you sure it worked with both computers ON at the same time? Maybe the ISP made a mistake and then corrected it.

You need to either get a router (you can get a 1 port router for less than $10 bucks) or you can run 2 NIC's in one computer and use microsoft internet sharing.

ok i was starting to think that and i was going to actually borrow a router from someone and test it out that way, im guessing that my old router went down and i was stupid and bought a hub not realizing the difference, does that sound right?

So this problem just started when you switched out a router for a hub? That would explain everything lol...

well no i believe the router that i had before must have gone bad or something cause it just started out of nowhere, thats why i went out and bought a new "router" which turned out to be a hub

OK, well that is definately the problem. Get a new router and all will be good.

Yeah I had similar problems a long time ago. But believe it or not a hub worked with two computers for the longest time then the cable company got wise and did something that affected it. Get yourself a linksys router somewhere for cheap and use that and your problems will end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom