Sharing a dialup connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I am wondering if there is any way to share a dial up connection between two computers. The computer directly connected to the phone line is running xp home, while the other one is running xp pro. Both computers have an eithernet port in them, while one has the modem in it. Is it possible to access the internet on the second one with the first online? How do I go about setting this up?

Thanks.

You have to use a crossover cable. It is marked "crossover" on the side. A crossover cable is different than standard Cat5e.

Would this product from newegg work with sharing the internet connection from one computer to the other?

If I were to buy a router/hub, would that allow me to hook a cat5e cable from each computer to the hub, and share the connection?

This cable , would it work with just connecting the two network card to share the internet connection?

What is so different between a standard cat5e cable and a crossover cat5e cable? Is one going to allow me to share the internet connection, and the other one not allow me to?

What is the best option to share the internet connection and files between these two computers?

the difference between the two cables, patch/straight & crossover, is the pinouts on each end. Patch/Straight have the same pinout config on each end, crossover has two pairs of wires switched from end to end. To make a crossover from your patch, some equiptment is going to be needed, a wire cutter, a crimper, and a empty rj45 plug.

crossover cables are used to connect "like devices" such as two computers, two or more hubs or switches (this makes the multiple devices act as one device).

the best option to share inet access is to buy a router and connect the machines with straight/patch cables. the router is an always on device so no worring whether or not you have to turn on the ICS host machine and is that machine connected to the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom