No IP through Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevencbyers

Solid State Member
No IP through router
I have two computers on a DSL router. After 8 months of working fine, only one or the other will be assigned a real IP, not 196.254.x.x. I can go into the modem with one and reboot and it will work fine, then go back into the router and the other won't work. I have tried many things, new NIC card, new router, winsock fix, restoring. I can release the IP and get 0.0.0.0, but the most I can get back to is the 196.254.x.x. I can't wrap my head around this one. Both computers are running windows XP, the one that usually doesn't work hangs a bit at startup, maybe DHCP? Its verizon DSL. Let me know what else you need to know. Thank you in advance.

Did you try powering down the modem and router and leave them off for about a min or so and then power up the modem first then the router?Does your DSL require a username and pass?

yep i did that, actually last night i powered everything down all night, both computers, router and modem, that didnt do it...for some reason the one computer that isnt working right now hangs at startup, and after releasing the IP this morning, putting it all 0.0.0.0, caused it to not want to start up at all, i had to start in safe mode, then restart normally, still 0.0.0.0 IP

Try taking the router out of the picture all together and see if you can get an IP from the modem.

I can make either computer get an IP from the modem itself, its just when plugged back into the router, the other computer cant get an IP. I got a new router, same problem. To get an IP from the modem I simply plug into the modem, reboot both modem and computer, bam that works.

What router,on the first page of the router see if the router is set to obtain an IP automatically.Then go to the status page and try a DHCP release/renew.What I gather is the router is failing to get an IP correct?

network everywhere nh1005 or something like that, its a fast ethernet 10/100, perhaps hub is a better word. How do I get to pages for the router? Everyone on both computers for network connections is set at get IP automatically. Doing a release and renew works on the computer that is currently working, but when I release and try to renew on the one that is not, it says that it can not get an IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom