Installing SATA with Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhonjo

Baseband Member
Hi, I have a problem with installing the SATA hard drive. This is a Seagate 80GB SATA with model #ST380013AS. I bought all new parts for a new computer and my motherboard is a ASUS A7V600-X http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v600-x/overview.htm . I am just not excatly sure how to install it because it keeps on giving me the "Setup did not find any hard drive" error when installing a OS. I read the faq from http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/sata_detect.html but it does not help. If the motherboard have a SATA, I wouldn't need a SATA host adapter right? I also tried the DiscWizard Starter Edition, which was provided at thier website but it still gives me the same error. For SATA, is there any jumper setting like for the IDE hard drives to determine master or slave? I try messing around with the BIO setting but nothing seem to work. I been working on this for a couple of days...

Any information would help

Thanks

When you boot into xp it goes to that blue screen where it says setup is detecting the systems hardware, look at the bottom, it will say somethin glike press F7 to instal 3rd party scsi drivers, press the button it says. You will need to find the floppy disk that came with your motherboard/harddrive and put that in the floppy drive select the appropiate driver for the harddrive.

It's actually F6 but I already tried that before. The thing is that neither the motherboard or the hard drive came with any floppy. The motherboard came with a CD and I tried using that but it didn't work out. I downloaded start up cd from seagate and tried it but it didn't work out. Any more suggestion?

thanks

I would make sure the SATA drives are enabled in the BIOS. You said you tried messing around with the BIOS, read the manual and make sure you haven't disabled the SATA by accident.

If there are more than one SATA connector on the mobo, try using the other one.

I would also like to add that you only need one power cable for the SATA drives. My drives could use the newer SATA power connector or the old stand-by: Molex connectors. As i understand it, if you plug in both power cables, you will ruin the drive.

I am pretty sure SATA are enabled and I tried the other connection...if anyone installed SATA drives before, can you tell me step by step instruction what you did cuz I am dying to know to fix the problem.

thanks

Its rather simple. Try formating each individuale HD serperatly. If your setting up the raid using f7 im thinking that one of the HD's is faulty.

I recently installed an SATA into an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard and had similar trouble. The fix for me was to go into the BIOS and make sure that SATA was BOTH enabled and set to IDE and not RAID, since it sounds like you're not going to use RAID. That did the trick for me. When I rebooted, it recognized the drive.

can u explain more when u said "the fix for me was to go into the BIOS and make sure that SATA was BOTH enabled and set to IDE and not RAID."? so anything raid, i should disable it?

Depending on the version of BIOS you have, there should be a setting somewhere which will allow you to enable and disable SATA. Make sure it's enabled. When you enable it, an option should show up that allows you to choose between RAID or IDE. Make sure you choose IDE since you're not running the drive in RAID.

I can't tell you exactly where in BIOS it is, but on my friends ASUS board it was under the category of IDE onboard devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom