Murphy Stirkes again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nukem

Where am I again?
Here's a kicker for ya...

I was on my confuser last night playing a game, and it froze up onm me; I reset... Hmmm... It freezes at XP boot up; I reset again! This time no problem... roughly 15 minutes... FREEZE UP! I do the same thing again and get it to log on... 1st thing I do is reset the BIOS to defualt and check for an update... Nop, good there. Still freezing up on me.. Now this morning (german time) I get power to the mobo but after 2 seconds.. it shuts down.

Now I did the standard reset stuff... (BIOS jumper, CMOS battery, 1 stick RAM, even swapped out CPU's...) Still nothing. The only thing I haven't done yet is pull it apart and re-build it. My Mobo has a nifty little feature thoug... 5 lights that let me know it's checking itself so to speak... Now it won't get past the first LED light.

But honestly, this time I wasn't playing around with it and the REAL kicker is, it wasn't even OC'd!! Any other ideas to try? but the more important thing is... Any ideas on how it may have come to be like this... I have another mobo on order (from newegg of course) and I spent a great deal more on this one and I don't want to make the same mistake (if I made one) again. I'm not made of money here... :p

Thanks again for any help, and thanks for at least letting me rant on about it! :)

Craig

Sounds a lot like a PSU problem or mobo problem.

You've got a mobo on the way, so do you have an old PSU you can use? Or how about one you can beg/borrow/steal to try it?

After thinking about it and checking on the web site for Wattage. It makes sense, but what I can't understand is this:

Why would my PSU go out gradually, and not just, *POOF!* gone??? But I do have another PSU I can try... gonna do that tonight... (Had a BBQ yesterday and didn't want to introduce my confuser to alcohol induced thinking! LOL)

because of the materials used, especially in the capacitors, which get degraded over time. a good PSU will use good materials in their capacitors, resistors, etc, plus they will build it well.

a PSU is really important, but sometimes it is actually not the PSU. I would still suggest getting a new PSU, but I think the motherboard might also be damaged (because of the PSU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom