Installed a new heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickBrown7804

In Runtime
Ok i installed a new procesor heatsink and that was a pain in the butt because i had to take the whole mobo out after it took me forever to wire everything corectly.

So, after taking me about an hour to correctly place this heatsink in when i set it back up it sagged... Im not sure if that is bad seeing as its putting a lot of stress on the mobo. So i hacked up a coat hanger and hung it pulling up slightly on the heatsink to take some of the stress off the mobo.

So, now I finnaly put it back on and turn it on. The tornado kicks on that is posibly the loudest fan ever. Thats not the problem though.

I spent 85 dollars on this heatsink http://www.frozencpu.com/cpu-tta-20.html
and i turn it on check out the temperature and its higher than before at about 75 degrees... So now im even more pissed but i give it time to let the AS5 do its thing.

Then its running at same temperature. Then all the sudden it freezes. Im thinking ah must of just overheated so i let it sit and turn it back on fans kick on video card is on (i can tell because of the red light) but nothing happens. The computer POST's because i see the keryboard flicker.

So now i'm pissed off and dont feel like taking the heatsink off because im afraid i applied to much AS5 and it might have leaked into the CPU and fried the CPU.

Would everything still start up and POST if the CPU was fried im 99% sure it wouldnt. GIve me some ideas you guys might have. Before i take it all apart and troubleshoot it I'm just frustrated right now.

Dude, how much thermal paste did you apply? All you need is a thin layer that covers the back side of your cpu. Shouldent be thicker then a nickle. You REALLY dont want thermal paste all over your pins man. I dont even know how you would extract it from the socket. Im positive your computer wouldent even run like that. So that shouldent be the problem. Is your heatsink installed tightly?

Dont ever cover your entire cpu, I did that once and it did not work. Apply a small MINUTE amount on the middle of the cpu. You dont want that to do the heat transfer, you want the metal on metal doing the heat transfer. The AS5 is just to fill the small gaps where metal on metal is not there.

Small amount, like the size of a peice of rice, in the middle of the cpu. When you attach the heatsink, it will spread the AS5 to where it should go automatically.

AH ic. Its not smoked i know that because it POSTS' so i should be ok just clean it off and walah! Cross your fingers for me quys.

If your CPU was totally fried, it will not POST at all.

Its possible to burn your CPU and it runs on reduced performance, but it would still work. Chances are you're fine.

Well just to update all of this i took it apart i looked at it i was dumb i had the clamps on so the heatsink could slide down. So i rotated it and then it worked. So, then i hook it all back up plug it in turn it on. The Nvidia 256 GT screen pops up and then it turns off. I think the CPU is dead... Atleast i can call TigerDirect and RMA it.

As I said in another post, they may not take it back. If it is under warranty for a year, that is only through AMD. Tigerdirect will send you to them. As far as they are concerned, you are done doing buisness.

If te cpu is fried, it is fried through a fault of your own and not theirs. It says right in the warranty, it does not cover the cpuif you ruin it. Sorry, but I dont think your going to be able to get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom