Nvidia G70 Power Hungry Beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I heard elsewhere that this would be a power hungry card. Nvidia is notorious for this, which is one of the factors that persuaded me to go ATI. The 6800 Ultra originally hogged 480watts all to itself. Lucky, Nvidia fixed this. If I choose the G70, I guess i will be getting a new PSU with it.

wtf??.. Ok.. that's it.. I was gonna buy the OCZ Modstream 520 W, to keep my future upgrades open without having to purchase another PSU. But, maybe I should just buy a new PSU later when I know how much these things actually draw! :-\..

thats out of hand

lookin at with the mobo and drives somewhere around 400-450 watts at idle, probably 600+ watts with evrything cranking, thats alot of amps at 12volts and 5volts, especially considering the power supplies are only about 50%-60% efficient, can you say 1000watts PSU for $125 each , sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh

I could only run 2 of those without tripping circuit breakers

Horndude - $125 for a 1000w would be cheap as hell.....have you even taken a look at these higher watted PSU's lately? It's $200+ easily for like 650 lol.

But yeah, there's a lot of speculation at xtremesystems, that when it's all said it done it won't quite need that much power, these are just first initial guesses, but yeah, look at that 6800Ultra 3d1.......basically graphics cards are becoming a seperate freakin motherboard lol. Soon you're going to have to have two cases, one with your motherboard and one for the graphics card with a high speed interlink cable for processing :D

You'll be able to upgrade your GPU processor and add RAM to it as well :p

Only 1000+W PSU I've heard of was a custom built one for a team of overclockers... Apparently, none of the solutions on the market right now was not good enough for them. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom