my laptop is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everything Inan

Solid State Member
so.. it starts to load windows xp, but then bluescreen of death flashes and it restarts.

so i have a maxtor 120 gig portable hard drive that connects via USB port.

so i ask you, is it possible to copy the contents of the C: drive on my laptop through the USB and onto my portable hardrive?

i want to get the stuff off the laptop so i can reformat it and start with a clean slate.

how far does it get before it reboots?
and u can use a flash drive if that is what u were asking. and if all else fails use it as a slave! (seems to help me alot anymore.... i cant come up with anything else.. thats sad :/)

Blitze105 said:

and u can use a flash drive if that is what u were asking. and if all else fails use it as a slave! (seems to help me alot anymore.... i cant come up with anything else.. thats sad :/)

how do i do those things?

and it really deosnt get anywhere. i can start with a boot cd if i want, if thats what you mean, i can get to a dos screen..

Can you get a glimpse of what the first 9 characters are?
Also, you can't set your laptop HD as slave, I don't think, because of the fact that you can't connect it through IDE. So what I'd do is hook up a USB HD (if you've got one) and if DOS will detect it, run it through and put your info on it. However, try using Windows settings before full boot up, if you can, to use last good config. Not last good restore, but last good config.

-SkyHi

Well, if DOS were to detect it (which it wouldn't notify you), you could do a (once you're to C:\, after some cd\s (cd\ changes to a directory above the one which you're currently in) dir and it'd give you everything, including drives. Then you could go to the directory you want copied

You have to go through as if you're double clicking.
I.E. If you want to get to C:\Program Files\Yahoo you'd do the following:
1) cd\ - to get to c:\
2) cd Program Files - change active directory to C:\Program Files
3) cd Yahoo - change active directory to C:\Program Files\Yahoo

Now that you know how to change directory, all you need to learn is to copy. To do this you navigate to the directory you wish, and do /copy <filename> <destination>

Remember, at any time you can type "dir" (no "s) to see the files/folders in the active directory.

-SkyHi

PS - After you get all of your stuff done, you may want to google DOS _stuff_ and learn a bit about DOS

lol learn dos, eh? even after im done? so i can become a geek? lol, ok im jsut messing

ill try that stuff out. ive typed those or similar commands b4, but didnt get too far, but ill try again with more knowledge

and hey your from lansing huh? im from grand rapids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom