Top of the line business computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mance9

Solid State Member
Help me build a new TOP OF THE LINE business computer for a customer of mine. PC is for a lot of work with Simply Accounting, Office use: Spreadsheets, Databases etc.

I was thinking with socket 478 P4 3.2 with asus P4P800-VM motherboard, with 1 gig of ram. DVD Burner and DVD Player, 160 sata HD.

Should i go with P5 ASUS motherboards? Mobo has to be ASUS and P4 CPU. What would be the best solution? Going to max P4 3.4.
More ram, or go with DDR2???

Thank you for looking at my post, most of the computers I built were for home users, but this is a big contract.

Mance

3.4 is far from the max, 3.8 is the max for Intel :)

How much are you looking to spend??

Also you want to think about data backup, RAID 1 hard drives, server, USB hard drive (best option if your not lazy)

PC for about 2000 can.

As far as backup, external 80 is being used.

I wouldn't go over P4 3.4. I think it will do. What specs do you suggest?

why all that expensive hardware for office apps??????????????????????????

take a look at the actual hardware requirements of that software first, then reconsider, why spend mega bucks on something that will run fine on 4 or 5 yr old hardware, unless you just wanna spend $$ and show off or the client is foolish and doesnt know any better

my 2 cents worth

It's a customers wish to have a top of the line PC, I completely understand what you are saying, but I am just doing what my customer wants. 12 or more hours a day will be spent on that PC.

It is my opinion that 1 Gig of RAM is overkill. Is this person going to use CAD programs? Gaming? Whats your budget? are you building just the box or are you going to purchase the monitor, mouse, ect. too?

If i was going to build that rig i would go with:
P4 3.2
ASUS or MSI mobo
512 MB RAM - no "cheap" stuff
a couple of Hard drives in RAID 1 for peace of mind
Get a DVD dual layer +-RW - no need for two CD type drives

lets have some more info please.

EDIT: WOW! I must be really slow on the keyboard. :)

NO games at all. Some, not a lot software develompent will be used as well. Basically lot of apps, big presentations being built on it. Moneywise, around 2000 to 2500.
19 LCD Monitor, Microsoft Multimedia KB and Mouse.

Than month or two later color laser printer, but i will not worry about that right now.

I think i will go with RAID 1.

my 2 cents? Get a pair of Raptors in RAID 0, and get a par of 120 gig hard drives (Western Digital Caviars) in RAID 1.

IMO there's no point in going dual raptors if he really doesn't care about that one or two second difference

probably 2or 4x250 seagate SATA HDD in the raid of your choice

you should go ddr2 with intel (3.0 is enough, the 3.4ghz doesn't justify its cost with that 400mhz increase)

you said lots of apps, so 2 gigs of DDR2 ram should do (2x1gb)

for the optical drives, get the NEC 3520A

for the case, get something professional like antec/lian li

Ok, well in that case, Id get the Asus board, the 3.4ghz intel is fine, 512mb RAM should be plenty.Id also get a nice dvd+-rw drive, a really nice LCD for it, and concentrate on things that just make it easier and fun to work with.Wireless keybrd/mouse, maybe a second monitor, a nice spacious but quiet case and fan setup.Set aside some cash for a really good laser printer and a an office quality mid volume scanner, peripherals in an office cost some bucks to get the good stuff.I wouldnt go overboard on storage, office files dont need that much space, Id lean towards reliability as much as possible, stick with quiet drives, in RAID if you want, just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom