Burnt Out Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik00014

Baseband Member
My computer died on me a few weeks ago, and on further inspection I found the processor burnt out.
This happened after a peroid of about a week where the computer would crash after about an hour after turning on. This was confusing ,as the computer was stable beforehand.
These are the pictures of the burnt out processor and the heatsink with a residual brown mark on it.
Is this a normal occurance for AMD processors?
Can I hope to get a refund?

did you apply the thermal paste and put on the HSF yourself?

if you did, you probably put on too much/too little/no thermalpaste and screwed up your processor

anyways, which redistributor did you get it from?

Your processor just overheated. Like diablo said, did you install it yourself? I'm assuming you did. Unfortunetely, that would be considered your fault, sothey would not give you a refund. Sorry man.

The processor had been running for months, surely if it was going to die from overheating it would have done it sooner??

It just doesnt seem right, that it would suddenly die after so long.

If this was a result of improper installation, is this a normal way for a processor to overheat??

??? What's up with that heatsink? It looks weird, like there's screws in the bottom of that thing, cause that doesn't look like that's where the pads lined up on it. Looks like a ton of thermal compound was used and if it was AS5 especially it'd short it out easily. Sorry to say, but yeah a refund won't be happening.

The thermal compound needs to be slightly spread across the die, which in this case looks like it was gooped on most of the processor

Yeah, when I installed this processor it was my first time.
I know too much thermal paste was put on. When I was eventually told this I didnt think it mattered because the computer had been stable for so long beforehand.

Yeah it looks like you didnt apply the paste right

Too much got everyhwere, and AS5 can short out close gaps. Also not enough on the CPU die itself

I removed the thermal grease for the picture, which is why you don't see much on the dye....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom