ATX_12V connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Switch

Fully Optimized
What exactly is the ATX_12V connector for? In my motherboard manual, it says that without it, my computer won't boot. However, IÂ’ve been using my computer for well over a month without it plugged in. earlier today I plugged it in and didn't notice any changes in efficiency, performance, or cooling. WhatÂ’s the deal here?

Is that the little four pin connector cable? It's a square. If it is, that is for the Pentium's.

yeah, its the square 4 pin one. the manual says that my computer won't boot up without it...but it has for the past month. i don't get it.

It's a straight +12v line for the CPU, to take strain off the +12v that all the other electronics in your system use.

I've accidentally left it out too with my CPU overclocked, but you need to put it in there to ensure stability

Wow i cant belive it let you do that. My past one got jostled when i was cleaning it once and i couldnt figure out what the problem was and it was that it wasnt plugged all the way in. I cant belive it started must be a ood board.

So many times I have taken apart my computer, and forgot about that plug, and hit power, and it dosent turn on, and the freaking out of "OH DAMN! I BROKE IT! WHAT THE HELL DID I DO?!" but then upon closer look, it's that that isnt plugged in or is a little unplugged. Needless to say, I only made that mistake a few times, I never make it again.

I've never seen any AMD boards with that. Is it new that AMD is using that?

Read the documentation on your processor. I think you'll find that your chip doesn't need the direct 12v connection (which is why yer comp has been running fine without it). Some chips do, and if you try to start them up without that line connected, they will either behave badly, brown-out, or not boot.

Do some research on the subject and you'll see why things behave the way they do, despite the Asian documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom