Noob's first gaming/o'c build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of things to think about here. I can get the MSI NX-6800GT-256 for $25 CDN more than the x800xl, so I may go with the MSI.

Sorry to keep asking dumb questions, but why is G Skill RAM so much better than OCZ? I thought for o/c, the OCZ PC 4000 Gold VX series is the gold standard (pun intended)...

oh yea, i forgot about PS3.0

also, the ocz ram with pc4000 is just overclocked 3200, when you put the pc4000 into your computer, you will still run it at pc3200 (the ram is just tested to work at pc4000)

that ram won't overclock good b/c it doesn't use samsung tccd's like these do:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231008
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231006

if you want something cheaper and still oc very good(won't oc as good as the LA's or LE's):
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231002

G.Skill RAM

Looking into the G.Skill RAM, doesn't look like it's that easy to get in Canada. I found one place in BC that carries g.skill, but it's the wrong type. Anyone know of any Canadian stores that carry g.skill? Their website doesn't even list Canada under their 'where to buy' menu.

I'm a little hesitant about ordering up from the US, as it's not a 'made in the USA' product, and I can therefore get hit with tariffs which make it not feasible to buy (I've seen this happen ordering up other types of products, it can get ugly price-wise).

Thanks again...

How about this RAM:

MUSHKIN 1GB DUAL CHANNEL 2X512 PC3200 2-2-2 LEVEL 2 V2 TCCD CHIPS

ATI has problems running it's own games on it's own video cards.
Just for clarity, there is no such thing as an ATI or nVidia game, both companies make hardware and forceware for said hardware, and do not design games. This statement might be true if you were to say ATI cards excel in DX9.0, and nVidia cards excel in OpenGL, but nVidia performs better overall better in both.

Shibby, you should be all right with the x800XL if you're a bit tight for cash as it's the cheapest and best value 16 pipeline card you'll find, but if you have the money, I'd recommend a 6800GT simply for added PS3.0 instructions.

As far as G.Skill goes, I am assuming you live in Canada. I will tell you now you will not be able to find G.Skill LA RAM anywhere in Canada (and even if you could I'm sure it'd cost $400+). Any Samsung TCCD based RAM is just as good as G.Skill. OCZ Plantium Revision 3 PC3200 RAM uses TCCD, and should perform right on par with the G.SKill. I know it's fairly abudant in Canada and if you are having trouble finding any PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.

the ocz ram with pc4000 is just overclocked 3200
Again, just to clarify, it isn't overclocked as it's built and tested to run at stock speeds, stock timings and stock voltages perfectly stable. I would recommend the Rev2s over this stuff though as I'm certain you'll get farther with 'em.

And the 3200+ you're looking at, I recommend you buy the 3200+ with the Venice core rather than the Winchester core. I know they have the Venice 3200+ availible at ncix.com (I just ordered one a few days ago actually). The Venice uses the same 90nm process as the Winny, but it has added SSE3 instruction support and better overall architechture. I've seen 3200+ venices hitting 3.0GHz on air.

Shibby said:
Lots of things to think about here. I can get the MSI NX-6800GT-256 for $25 CDN more than the x800xl, so I may go with the MSI.

Sorry to keep asking dumb questions, but why is G Skill RAM so much better than OCZ? I thought for o/c, the OCZ PC 4000 Gold VX series is the gold standard (pun intended)...

Yeah go with the 6800GT for 25$ more, ATI hasnt lowered their prices enough when I checked to make them very worthwhile in Canada, and think the cards are only made a short drive away from here, should be cheaper :mad:

Just give up getting G. Skills in Canada, not going to happen, unless you do some boarder hopping :)

gaara + DJ-Chris,

Thanks for all the excellent information. I think I will go with the 6800GT, $25 isn't a big deal, and the reviews I saw comparing it to the x800xl showed the 6800GT edging the x800xl out enough to justify that cost, at least for me.

Yeah, with the 3200+, I will go with the Venice. Didn't really know much about it when I first posted (yeah, I'm REALLY a noobie at these sorts of things), but I've since learned a lot from combing through these forums.

In terms of RAM, thanks for the heads up on the OCZ. Lots of places to get that in the GTA.

Thanks a lot guys!

That's a typo, the newest XP's are barton and he said winnie, and + everything else he is getting is 939 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom