Are no cd cracks bad (if i own the game)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the drizzle

In Runtime
I know there is software to play games without the cd/dvd such as virtual cd or gamedrive. My question is this: is it bad to crack games so i dont need the cd to play them? Im not stealing the games, i own them. Is the quality/performance any different? I cracked farcry and don't notice any difference without the cd so far.

there isn't a difference besides the cd not being there :) and no it is legal
itd be kinda illogical to make it so u have to have the game to play in the computer to play it? not many ppl would bother with that law at all. (making, following or enforcing)

I have a Doom 3 no cd crack that works great. Cant tell the difference. Anyone wants it, let me know.

im thinking bout it. just got unreal tournament... game is crazy lol
but no man it isn't illegal or anything, and even if it was again how could they prove it?

Okay, first off, a no-cd crack IS illegal. It's altering the program (whether it's registry edits or so-forth) and if you read the EULA it will describe for you. But IMO, I don't think it should be illegal because it's quite the wear on your CD-ROM drive. But you do realize that they make it wear out fast so you buy more. I'd personally use the no-cd crack b/c it saves the CD-ROM drive.

-SkyHi

I say im using it myself, so f them because I paid and im lazy

Luckily HL2 doesnt want the CD, so im not whining.

I'm not saying that it's very nice to not let you use them, however it IS illegal. I do use them myself, as the only illegal software I use.

SkyHi said:
Okay, first off, a no-cd crack IS illegal. It's altering the program (whether it's registry edits or so-forth) and if you read the EULA it will describe for you.

-SkyHi

no cd cracks that do alter the original code are illegal.

however the original poster asked if using a virtual cd/dvd drive is illegal. I'm going to say its not. Reason being is that you should allowed to make one copy of your game for backup purposes, fair use rule. As long as you do not distribute that copy, I do not believe this is illegal. Using the virtual cd/dvd drive does not alter the orginal code. Instead, you make a copy of the disc in file form and load the data into the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom