Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroordie

In Runtime
I need help on OCing my MSI GeForce 6600
It runs at:
3d core clock : 300 Mhz
Memory clock : 500 Mhz
Usualy have it OCed to 324/540 Mhz, and today tried to OC it up to 350/600 Mhz.

The thing is, while playing UT2004, stuff happened like lines would apper randomly in the game and it would not play as nicely as with the previous OC. could it be that I OCed my card a bit to much and can this kind of thing cause damage? cuz it cost me and i dont want to fry it :eek:
and by the way can anyone point me in the direction of a program that can give u the temps of both ur GPU and CPU while running windows?

further more, while i tried to put a better resolution on the game, my screen would go black and say smthing weird like frenquency error or smthing (for any resolution over 1200/900), i'll have to check again for wat it said exactly, but could that be that the screen cant support the refresh rate anymore or that the screen just doesnt have enough pixels? but that would be weird cause i play painkiller in 1600 * 1200 resolution and there arnt any problems

thats about all for my problems,
thx for your help!

first, no offense, but the 6600 is a completely waste of money IMO b/c it performs pretty bad for the money

second, you gotta let the card burn in (play games on stock 300/500 and let it loop 3dmark05) for at least a week, then OC it

download coolbits2 from www.guru3d.com and let it "detect optimal frequency"; that it probably the speed you want it to stay at

350/600 is WAY too much of an overclock and your card probably won't handle it (+20% on mem freqency is too much)

oh man shit i didnt know the 6600 was a bad buy.
damn, ill do my research next time, but why do say that? it seems to work fine in hi resolutions and stuff like that.
anyway, what do you mean by "let it loop 3dmark05"
thx!

by the way i downloaded coolbits 2, how r u sopposed to use it?
lol sry im kinda new w/ this kind of thing
all it has in the unzipped folder is a 2Kb thing called coolbits_forceware
what do i do with that?

ok so it says in UT2004 frequency over range when i put my res to 1600*1200 or over
any ideas y?

Bottom line = 6600's suck. If you ever try to OC a 6600, just buy one from BFG that has been overclocked already. But just jump up $100 and get a 6800.

Those random lines and screen garbage that you were getting is called artifacts. This means that your vid card is overheating. If your card is overheating, then you have to turn down the clock speed on it (or get some kinda fancy cooling system).

zimon said:
yes because your monitor doesnt support that res. its above your maximum

yes but as i said, i play painkiller in 1600*1200 res and my screen doesnt go black and say frequency over range, so i'm kinda bummed about that. could it be because i might have damaged my GPU when i over OCed it?
and to really OC it like 20% and not get artifacts, you guys are tellin me to get a better cooling system, but i dont know how to choose a new fan for my GPU seeing as how it already has one and i never looked into this so i would not know how to get them to be compatible and stuff like that so, would it help if i highered the GPU's voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom