Fan Spinning Wrong Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
A heatsink is designed to conduct heat and draw it off the core, where it then collects in the fins. The fan mounted on that heatsink then draws cooler air from the case to regulate the temperature of fins and keep them cool.

The only exception is when you have heatsink/heatercore designed for cross ventilation, in which you have fans on one side drawing cooler air onto it, and fans on the other side pulling that air through it and away.

You always want air being pushed onto the heatsink before you have it pulling away though.

Nubius im not sure which model Xbox you worked on, but my CPU didnt have a fan on the heatsink, But the exaust fan for the entire system was beside it.

Nubius im not sure which model Xbox you worked on, but my CPU didnt have a fan on the heatsink, But the exaust fan for the entire system was beside it.
Yeah theres the GPU and the CPU inside the Xbox, I guess it's actually the GPU rather not the CPU, can't remember since it's been a while, but one out of the two heatsinks in there have a fan on there and it's blowing air ON the heatsink ;)

Holy crap. What the hell is up with this thread??!.. :s.. Didn't think it'll be 3 pages..... So far...

Anyways, as I've said in my message, I wasn't talking about computers per se only. But, certainly applicable to computers as well.

Nubius says he's only seen air blowing in - and I am sure he's seen many computers. And the other guy says he's seen it blowing out. So what guys. There is more than one way of doing things.. Always..

Gaara stated such a scenario just a couple messages up. That's essentially what I was getting at when I said "if it gets cool air from some other intake" (or some similar wording - 56k connection today, too slow to check :(). If fresh air is coming in from some other intake fan blowing from the side for example, it doesn't make sense to push more air from some other direction also. Where's all the air gonna go? The important thing is that there is an air gradient from a cool source to the exhaust. Who cares where the air is really getting pushed to the CPU from as long as there is a gradient?

Depending on the size of ur case and such and if u have a lot of HDDs generating a lot of heat, the air at top might be somewhat warm. Then why not take fresh air from somewhere else?

A good case will probably have an intake fan right above the CPU fan, that can get fresh air to the CPU fan, to blow onto the CPU. But, doesn't need to be the case necessarily. I am sure all of us can think of architectures where blowing "onto" the CPU is not necessarily required:

See this for example. It's not always black and white IMO,

http://www.asus.com/products/pccomponents/cooler/gaming/starice/overview.htm

I realize that "most" stuff in the market right now blow in. But, that doesn't mean, "good" architectures can't exist with blowing out from the top. :).. It only takes one good exception for something to be true :).. I can think of an idea right now.. :D.. lol

lol, I've seen that asus thing a couple times it's insane.......yeah I also have a blower style fan, but that's not what it was about, because yeah theirs obviously fanless designs too.

Point is, every stock heatsink I've ever come across or a fan and heatsink combo period, the fan blows ON the heatsink. So yeah it is pretty much standard in that sense

On all your points I have questions? When you all are saying the fans are blowing/sucking...does this mean...ok say I install a stock P4 heatsink/fan. Now the way the fan comes facing upwards which blows air away from it (like any fan I fully agree with nubius they will always BLOW) now since it is blowing away..to blow air ON to the heatsink wouldnt this mean you would physically have to mount the fan upside down?? Or what am I missing here??

As for sucking..I am not sure how would even be possible to get a fan to sping backwards in that motion..wonder what happened to this persons setup to make it do that!

you take the screws out of the fan flip it over and mount it back into place.

or you just reverse the flow of electricity to the fan.

reversing the electricity wouldn't really do much considering the blades are shaped to efficiently blow air one specific way.

Hahah lol, I'm right on with nubius here. It's funny (and irritating) when people call you out for being "defensive" etc, when you are just sticking by your original point/arguement. LOL; that's all I have to say about it.

Oh and nubious, good idea demoting yourself :).

But it would spin the fan the other way =p

nubius seems to know his shit, i havent seen him say anything ignorant or stupid yet. which is always a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom