Can I network with Win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoa

Baseband Member
I am trying to network 2 office computers, does Win 2000 professional come equipped with networking capabilities or will I need to use Win 2000 server or XP?

You certain can! Just assign both computers to the same network GROUP, you can name it arbitrarily. Then, share whatever drives, folders you wish to and give rights to the users you want to. Then restart the machines, thats it! Viola!

Let us know if any problems arise.

its not that easy...

ive assigned em to the same group and only win2000k can access my xp computer not via.

we need real network experts on this forum
dont make a network forum category yet, its not ready, at least from my view

I have a setup like this at my house and i can access every computer from network neighborhood on all the computers

win2k was designed for a business environment especially for networking. it is about as easy to set up a network in win2k as all of the other windows operating system. it does not take a guru to create a basic setup. using a peer-to-peer network setup, you do not need a server. all computers act as servers and clients on p2p and do not need to be always turned on.

go to the network conections in control panel. run the networking wizard and you are ready to go. printers, folders, and other devices can be shared by setting permissions.

yes, but if u're sharing internet connection without consent of the ISP (i.e. without paying the extra buck for the second machine), you need to make one computer the server, which must be on all the times for second computer to access the internet.

If you're using broadband you usually can't have a server. Most of the cable modems for commercial sale & that internet services give you will bind themselves to 1 device, which is why you can't use a hub. As far as being on a Lan and not being able to access files? that's just two different work group names usually.

You guys need a networking expert?

I've got a few books. Give me a week. :)

ehhh
what if u have a router?

anyways my problem was never answerd

windows 2000 can access my xp machine but not vice versa
and yes i went through the networking wizard

Can you see the 2k computer from xps network neighborhood? If so whats the error that pops up when trying to access it? We need to get your network running :)

Oh also have you tried the "\\*place 2k Computer name* from the runline? ex) if your computers name is Boobies, you'd type \\Boobies, or for administrative use you'd type \\Boobies\c$ and should open up a login box.

You should verify that you have the same users assigned on both machines.

As far as the Connection sharing goes, all you need is a POS Cable/DSL router-firewall. Or install a second nic in the XP machine, assign the gateway of the 2k machine to the ip of the internal nic from the XP machine and then set a route for the XP internal nic to the external nic on the XP box. That will give you a firewall and internet access from both machines. If you enable the XP firewall that is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom