Memory woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowMan

Solid State Member
Hello. I have a Dell Dimension 8250, and I decided it was time to upgrade my memory. I had two sticks of 256 RDRAM, so I decided to buy two more. The Dell Dimension can only use PC800 RDRAM (non-ecc), but I took a shot and got another type of RDRAM. I got 2 sticks of 256 MB PC600-53 (non-ecc). I put them in this morning. Sure enough, they were compatible with the computer. The computer instantly recognized the new memory and that I had 4 sticks of 256 MB.
Here's the problem. In the BIOS setup, it recognizes that I have 4 sticks of 256 MB. However, for total memory. it tells me I have 672 MB. How is this possible? Is it an error with the compatibility (PC600-53)? Or is there a simple way to fix this?

diabloII said:
boot up your computer, each time using a different stick and see that you get
I might try that. I'll have to do them in pairs though, seeing as how it's Rambus.

The only way I can even total up 672 is

2x256mb
128mb
32mb

lol weird combo indeed. You're 100% sure the two new sticks you got are also 256mb?

If it's an older system the motherboard may simple not allow up to 1gb

I checked the specs of the computer, it can have up to 2 GB of memory.
I'm sure that the new sticks are 256 a piece, as they were recognized by the system as being 256 (though the total says otherwise). And if it matters, I have a Radeon 9600 video card and a Pentium 4.

Take the sticks out and put them back in, it should fit snuggly. Which company are the memory made from? And how much were they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom