CPU Noise (Like an Alarm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the case off and I have identified it as the fan on the back grille of the CPU, not the one next to the heat sink on the mother board. I tightened the screws a little and it helped temporarily, then started making a little different sound, more like a whining sound, but not near as loud as previously. I think I amy just replace the fan and see if it clears the problem unless you all have other suggestions.

I changed the fan out today and still have the same noise. It does not start immediately, but starts after about 5 minutes. Could it be some type of virus that is causing?

mine would do that alarm sound if one of two things happened:

1. I set a setting too high in my BIOS (overclocking) that my CPU didn't want to run.

2. My temperature exceeded the thermal warning temp as set in the BIOS.

I put the other fan in... now have two and checked the BIOS and the temperature is below recommended and is not making the noise. Do I still need to take the CMOS batterry out?

I also think its a thermal issue. Invest in some Arctic Silver 5, but alot of people know, but for the record, its a very quality thermal compound that goes in between the CPU and heatsink. This stuff is what conducts the heat between the CPU and heatsink. If your trying different ways to cool the computer, and the timings of the beeping is changing, then it is indeed a thermal issue. If you can't figure this problem out with a new fan or compound, I suggest getting a new computer tower with better cooling. Or if you want to go all out, invest in water cooling.

No you shouldn't. The purpose of taking the CMOS battery out is to reset the BIOS and RTC. That will not affect the beeping except for changing the temperature at which the computer alarms you about overheating, but that wont be true if you never changed that setting and left it at default. To ensure it doesn't overheat, get the AC5 as i mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom