When do you set up RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedub

In Runtime
Just wondering when you are suppose to setup raid, hopefully I can still do it after windows has been installed. Can anyone give me any info?

man I tried to set up a raid, and everything got screwed up, now I have to start from scratch :(

thats cause you probably tried to put your OS on the RAID drives post install, you cant do that

not sure if you want your OS on the RAID drives anyway, someone else jump in here and explain this PLEASE

uh, well you DO want your OS on the raid drives (a statement, not a question :D)

so just start from scratch again

diabloII said:
uh, well you DO want your OS on the raid drives (a statement, not a question :D)

so just start from scratch again

sometimes yes,sometimes no, sometimes RAID is just storage with a pair or more of drives with the OS on its own separate drive, not a mind reader here unfortunately(my ESP is undergoing maintenance)

More often than not RAID is used for fault tolerance on servers and stuff. Gamers alot of the times have RAID 0 set up, as it does increase performace.

There is a way to set up RAID on OS's already installed, whichever raid you want. On raid zero, with the right program, it would simply copy yhe old drive to the new one so you can have the mirror. If you setup a spanned set, you can get programs to span it across the drives. It is possible, but not terribly easy. I would do it from a clean install. Format the drives, setup the raid, and then install Windows. Probably would run a lot more stable.

Putting your os on a raid drive is pointless.. Your applications aren't going to open any faster. The only reason you should use raid (unless you're doing pro-sound mastering or video editing) is to take 2 or more identical drives to raid toether (in 0) to turn them into a single disk (To increase drive storage capacity).

I'm sorry to say but if you arent capable of setting up a raid yourself, most likely you arent capable of repairing one. you'll most likely end up screwing something up and losing all your data anyway.

A better option would be to do what i stated above (drives in raid 0 for performance, as its easy to setup) and then use a program like acronis or norton ghost to backup your system onto dvd or cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom