Need to start overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kinda temps are dangerous for an AMD 3200 in bios? I'm at 44-45c, still getting crashes on COH, sometimes crashing to a blue screen, dunno if it's temp or voltage what's doing it.

I haven't touched my RAM at all and not sure what "loosen the timings" mean.

If your temperatures start exceeding 60 degrees you will want to lower the vcore or seek out a better cooling option.

I believe you have just stumbled upon your stability problem, especially if your RAM is on 1:1 with your HTT (meaning the RAM speed matches the HTT speed). As the RAM speed is increased, you need to loosen timings through the BIOS. Somewhere under memory configurations you should see captions such as CAS latency, RAS to CAS, RAS precharge etc. with numbers beside them. You need to increase these numbers to ensure stability. Example:

Memory with timings 2-2-2-5 overclocks 50MHz, you'll most likely need to loosen to at least 3-3-3-7 to ensure stability.

hey,
there's a bunch of stuff you ppl talk about i don't get.
can u help me w/ it maybe?
1) frist off, how can u acces ur bios while running windows? Only way I know how to acces it is through the boot sequence.
2) my GPU is an MSI GeForce 6600. MSI has a little menu u can acces through right click & properties which allows you to overclock your GPU. I was wondering if that was any good or not?
3) My mobo, a gygabite 915 P, has an option in the BIOS (CPU intelligent tweaker or smthing like that) that says will OC ur CPU only when it is loading. is that actually considered as overclocking since i didnt touch the clock speed or vcore or any of that stuff and is it really effecient?

thx for your help!

You don't access the BIOS through windows period. Boot up sequence is the only way dude.

ok but then if you overclock through bios and then test for stability in windows it means you have to reboot every time to make changes again?
and what about the MSI tweaker thing, do you know anything bout that? i got it in 10% overclock which brings my memory clock to 550 (base 500) and my core to 330 (base 300)
while running the cs:source stress test it gave me about 5-10 fps more, is that good or can i still oc my card?
thx

it means you have to reboot every time to make changes again?
.......well.........yeah, that's the only way you can do it when overclocking through the BIOS.

Don't know anything about the MSI tweaker, an overclocking tool is an overclocking tool, but if they adjust by percentages and not let you actually set the frequency yourself then I'd say just use coolbits or rivatuner.

As far as 'can I still OC my card' well thats up to you, keep pushing it until temps are too high or if you can't monitor temps then just watch for artifacts

do you know any good programs that can monitor ur GPU temperatures ? and by artifacts do you mean like bugs, games who suddenly stop & blue screens?
thx for your help!

o and one more thing, since where talking about GPUs, temps can't go to high can they? - by that i mean high enough to damage the card, since the card's processor isnt that powerfull...
thx :)

How about you start your own thread with questions instead of hijacking this guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom