Norton AV disabled!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatdarngood

Baseband Member
i have this NAV 2003 professional edition. One day, i see that the program is disabled. Upon inspection, i see that its executables
ie navapscv.exe, ccevtmgr.exe,ccapp.exe have been renamed.
they now read as nav1apscv.exe, cc1evtmgr.exe, cc1app.exe.

I unistalled it and again installed it. worked fine for a couple of days. then it was back to square 1.

what shd i do?

Sounds like perhpas a virus/malware? Run an online can (there are a few, the only one I can think of now is Panda) and some anti-spyware scanners. And perhaps try running one of Blitze's programs to see if they pick up something norton doesn't.
Have you used live-update at all? Pehpas that might do it (an update changed the names).

Symantec also has an online scanner, and it is free. Perhaps a live update did change all the names, but that dosent sound right to me. I would have to go with his first suggestions, that it is a virus.

Do you have more than one AV scanner on? No computer likes to run with more than one, and they always fight.

the problem is that now i cant use live update.
its saying cannot retreive the catalog file from symantec

I can't google exes here at school, but you should google the new exes and see what comes up. I typed in cc1evtmgr, and I got some stuff about a trojan, I can't go to it because of school blockage, and I don't want to get caught.

-SkyHi

WOW

wow. as u said i googled and found some startling results.
yes its a trojan mitglieder.cg. it says that it renames the executable files of popular antivirus programs and also some firewalls.
also it downloads a executable program from randomly chosen sites every 6 hours.

the best part of this trojan is that it blocks you from viewing sites of popular antivirus sites.

no wonder i was getting refused from them.

panda site says that the threat is small but its damage is severe.

heres the link
information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom