Fan Spinning Wrong Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually i tried taking the side panel of the case and the cpu temp dropped 10 degrees! i thinking i need more than just the one case fan that i have. i only had one on-hand so i'll probably go out and buy one later today.

ekÆsine said:
No your processor is definately running too hot by about 10celcius . Don't turn your fan around, it's supposed to blow onto the heatsink. Try using artic silver ceramique and also get a better heatsink/ fan. something like this:

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106037

35-106-037-03.JPG

Yeah remeber the fan is more expensive than the processor here.

It really depends on the cooling characterstics of your case.. You can have either really. Not just in PC cooling either mind you. I mean, you use the fan to blow cool air towards the CPU so that it cool down. Similarly, if you want fresh air to come from some other place (assuming it does), you can direct the warm air to go out by blowing out.. Really depends on the cooling characteristics of ur case IMO.

I've been told that its better to have a fan that sucks the air away from the CPU. I guess whoever told me this based the idea off how having more exhaust fans then intake fans was better to keep it cooler (Which is true) Can someone clarify this "urban legend?"

As I said, it probably depends on the cooling characteristics of ur case. If you have "cool" air blowing towards the CPU, maybe u can direct that air to cool the CPU much like a desktop fan blowing towards ur face. Otherwise, if it's warm air usually at the top of the CPU and u have a front intake or whatever that blows air from some other direction, I would imagine blowing air out would be nice. The important thing is to either (1) get warm air out or (2) get cool air in. Whichever it is should work.. :-\.. And I am not just basing this on a stupid computer.

that's alway been a misconception about cooling. 2 fans side by side will blow 4 times as much air than 1 fan blowing in and 1 blowing out.

A better idea is to have 2 fans side by side on the back of the comp case blowing air in and another fan blowing air out somewhere else

Air in the front, out the back. I have exhaust funs on the back of my case, and a few fans blowing air in on the front. Int eh front, out the back.

I always though that thefans on the CPU's were designed to pull heat AWAY from the heatsink, by cimply pulling air away from it.

They are supposed to keep air flowing around the heatsink, so that heat can be transfered from heatsink to air. The greater the temp difference, the faster the exchange (I think). And it make sense to blow on to the heatsink, as it pulls air from the middle of the case, not from near the board where tempuratures are probably greater.

It really depends on the cooling characterstics of your case.. You can have either really. Not just in PC cooling either mind you. I mean, you use the fan to blow cool air towards the CPU so that it cool down. Similarly, if you want fresh air to come from some other place (assuming it does), you can direct the warm air to go out by blowing out.. Really depends on the cooling characteristics of ur case IMO.
No it really doesn't. Fan ALWAYS blows on the heatsink, there is no alternative to this. The only fans that suck instead of blow are ones for radiators in a water cooling loop inwhich you want the fans pulling air through the radiator.

In a normal computer setup you always want the fan blowing onto the heatsink, theres no other way for it to get the heat off quick enough.

that's alway been a misconception about cooling. 2 fans side by side will blow 4 times as much air than 1 fan blowing in and 1 blowing out.

A better idea is to have 2 fans side by side on the back of the comp case blowing air in and another fan blowing air out somewhere else
Where do you get 4 times as much air? That's not true.

For a good case setup you want an equal amount of CFM being exhausted and intake........ It's more ideal to have a tad more exhaust than it would be to have more intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom