Finally got my new system together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedub

In Runtime
Only problem is, I don't have a full install of an operating system :( Is there a way I can get my dell os cd to work? All I have is the xp upgrade, and I really don't want to go buy xp again. I also have an old 98 floppy too, if there is a way to make that work

I remember a friend of a friend of mine :) being in a similar situation.. Not with XP tho. If you copy and paste the XP "Windows" directory from one comp to the other and run the upgrade on the new one, one would think it would work.

I am presuming u just have the 98 "floppy disk"? Not the actual CD right?

EDIT: or it might complain about it being the same version and might ask u to "repair" the install instead.. Try anything they suggest and see what happens :)..

No, there is no way for your dell os cd to work. Either get a copy of windows or linux, or be stuck with a useless machine.

Yes, the Dell OS cd is meant for the dell computer it came with. Taking a machine that isn't proprietary (I know its misspelled) like Dell that doesn't have the same BIOS and so forth will reject the CD. Using a repair installation does not require a CD Key, but it requires the administrators password, the one you were prompted to make when you first installed XP.

No there is a way upgrades look for a previous install but if it does not find on it will ask for the cd of the previous install

I got it to work guys :) all you have to do is just put the dell cd in for verification that you've had a previous os. Then it tells you to put the xp cd back in. so its all good

lol. There u have it. I didn't know u had 2 "different" CDs tho. I just thought u had a Windows XP upgrade CD. Wonder if copying the Windows directory works for XP. I know it does for Windows 98.... The important thing is to let it know that you have "some" windows on the computer already. It's not going to check if it "works".. Just gonna check for key files.. In anycase, glad it worked out for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom