Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

camhabib

Baseband Member
Looking to add to my long list of computers. I have a Sun Blade 2500, a custom (by me) PC running a Xeon that I have just converted into a server, and a whole bunch of laptops. I am interested in building a new PC, mid tower, water cooling (plus many many fans), Xeon or HT P4, exellent motherboard, RAID (haven't decided which one yet) on 1 terr. (can be added at later date), around 1GB RAM, and all the other trimmings. Have about $2k (3 at most) to spend. This is going to be used for mainly photo editing. And please note, many high end graphic cards do not enhance 2D images so please, nothing extravagant here, definitely not a gamer at all.

Anyone interested in creating some sort of "fantasy" or otherwise good list for these guidelines, I'd love some suggestions. And even though I am willing to spend a significant amount, remember cost is of some issue. Thanks to all.

-Cameron

Get some OCZ Plat, 1 or 2 gig.

10k Raptor 36gig for Windows and Programs(photoshop, c4d etc?)

Then a 160 or 200 gig SATA hd for the files.

For processor, looking for ssocket 478 or 775? 775 Extreme Editions are quite costly, but if u can afford it go with it. a 3.2 or 3.4EE will be sufficient.

6600GT - Just coz. Its only $200 anyway and gives u the option for games, even if u neve use it.

I dont suggest any sort of server processor. Such as a Xeon. The best processor for you at the moment would be the
Intel 3.46 Extreme Edition. There are new processors from Intel. Such as the 3.8ghz and the 3.73 Extreme Edition. But the 3.8ghz does not have 2MB cache, as the 3.46 does. Also the Intel 3.73 EE, turned out to to be a pretty bad processor. For over all performance, the 3.46 Extreme Edition is the best Intel processor rite now.

Since you want a liquid cooling system, im guessing your going to do some OC. So the 3.46 EE, is the best Intel processor to OC. Since it has all that cache. That processor running with moderate OC would simply own yo. Also, you might want to get a 64bit Intel processor, since soon to come OS and software will be 64 bit. Opposed to 32 bit processing.

For a video card, i suggest a ATI 850 Platinum Edition or a 6800 Ultra. But since you wont be gaming, you can always get a special video card built for CAD and applications like that.

What codeine said is basically right, but there is no point spending so much of his budget on a graphics card. Thats why I suggested the 6600GT.. its only $200 apposed to $500. He doesnt game, and so he really wouldnt need the ultra or the PE. He'd be better off spending $500 on RAM than on a graphics card

Yeah a 6600GT would be wise, offers many years of graphics functionality as well as the hardware DVD decoders, dual monitors and very nice image quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom